What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a piece of brass hopelessly stuck in my 6.5 Grendel sizing die

I gave up getting it out after an hour and trying every idea and tools I had and ordered a new sizing die this morning
Most of the die makers offer a stuck-case removal service. For a nominal fee they will remove the case and ship the whole shebang back to you.

I know Lee does, I'm almost certain RCBS and Dillon do also.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a piece of brass hopelessly stuck in my 6.5 Grendel sizing die
Terrible.

Thankfully I never stuck a case.
I am curious though as to what your lube is and how it is applied.

I have always used a waxy type lube.
Imperial.
1702424889803.png

Or Hornady.
1702424934172.png

Applied with my fingers.
I did get to try some spray on case lube that stated let it dry.
There was way more force needed to size a case.
Tried it after letting it dry and tried it wet and no difference really it was still a bear to size cases compared to the above 2 waxes.

I lube the entire case down to the case head and a tick inside the case neck.
It all gets removed after sizing.

I tried that Dry neck lube kit..
1702425128552.png

I did not like the added force to size cases with it either and pretty sure I gave it away.

I am curious every time I hear of a stuck case as to what lube regimen was used.

I removed a case by making 1/4-20 threaded hole in the case and threading in some all thread and ran a jam nut up to the case.

Then got vise grips and clamped to the all thread and whacked the vise grips with a hammer to remove the stuck case.

I may have heated the die just a bit and I did add some spray lube into the die also.

Got it out and it was really stuck.

I have found if I reload in the hot sun the die actually expands a smidge and I can't set my shoulders back in a certain 308 die.
When cold I could set them back .008" so there is some growth when a die is warm.

Warm and not hot to the point you can't hold it.

I did nothing in the reloading room today.
Making cedar and oak benches this week.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Terrible.

Thankfully I never stuck a case.
I am curious though as to what your lube is and how it is applied.

I have always used a waxy type lube.
Imperial.
View attachment 436821
Or Hornady.
View attachment 436822
Applied with my fingers.
I did get to try some spray on case lube that stated let it dry.
There was way more force needed to size a case.
Tried it after letting it dry and tried it wet and no difference really it was still a bear to size cases compared to the above 2 waxes.

I lube the entire case down to the case head and a tick inside the case neck.
It all gets removed after sizing.

I tried that Dry neck lube kit..
View attachment 436824

I did not like the added force to size cases with it either and pretty sure I gave it away.

I am curious every time I hear of a stuck case as to what lube regimen was used.

I removed a case by making 1/4-20 threaded hole in the case and threading in some all thread and ran a jam nut up to the case.

Then got vise grips and clamped to the all thread and whacked the vise grips with a hammer to remove the stuck case.

I may have heated the die just a bit and I did add some spray lube into the die also.

Got it out and it was really stuck.

I have found if I reload in the hot sun the die actually expands a smidge and I can't set my shoulders back in a certain 308 die.
When cold I could set them back .008" so there is some growth when a die is warm.

Warm and not hot to the point you can't hold it.

I did nothing in the reloading room today.
Making cedar and oak benches this week.
Hornady one shot but on the new die I am using Lee creme type
It was a PPU brass. I have had Sellier Belot brass do the same in my Garand. cheap soft brass I guess. Sure glad it wasnt one of my precious Nosler cases.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hornady one shot but on the new die I am using Lee creme type
It was a PPU brass. I have had Sellier Belot brass do the same in my Garand. cheap soft brass I guess. Sure glad it wasnt one of my precious Nosler cases.
I have had the unpleasure of using the Hornady one shot.
If you have a chance to get some Sizing die wax i highly recommend it.

If you are saying it is a LEE full length size die You can remove the lock nut on the top of the die and pull it off the expanding stem warm the die slightly with a propane torch add some wd40 or other lube down the hole and tap on the expander stem with a hammer and possibly drive the case out.

I am sure you tried that already though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom