What do ya'll know about Vortex Optics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not handled one, but word on the street is, that like their binos before them, the Vortex scope products are one of the best values going, if not the best - so yes, you supposedly get a little MORE than what you pay for - particularly with the "bulletproof lifetime warranty". I cannot personally vouch for them, though - just repeating the hearsay I've heard. Good luck.

98pointsix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been I balling the Sparc. A buddy of mine runs Strikefire on his AK and loves it. The glass is not as clear as an Aimpoint, the dot is not as bright and and in really bright light the dot can become kinda faint, the controls are on the side on the older ones looks like they have fixed that on the Sparc Im still kind of concerned about heat from running it on a scout mounted AK but it would be fine on an AR.

I have heard nothing but good things about Vortex customer service too. Best part is that the release of the Sparc has appearently driven down the plice of the Strikefire and they can be had new for a buck fiddy now.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Vortex Strikefire is just kinda meh....Dot was never bright enough for me. Location of power button is a little retarded. Battery life leaves something to be desired. I don't see how this one is any different.

Go EOtech, Aimpoint, Millett or go home.

If you must get a cheap RDS go for a primary arms.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Primary Arms micro is supposed to be fairly decent - I don't know that I'd spend $200 on that particular Vortex (especially since just about everyone I know who bought an Aimpoint Micro decided later to change their mind - its not a bad optic, but with the size/field of view, its just not for everyone).

Vortex is doing good things with their higher end optics though - their Viper PST is a baaaaaad scope (clear glass, very nice mechanics, awesome Reticle, etc...).

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The PST WILL find its way on my next build....Even their bargain magnified optics are standouts in their respective classes. That being said, their red dots just dont do it for me.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OPS (Oklahoma Police Supply) on Admiral in Tulsa had the Vortex Strikefires in stock for a good price last time I was in there. Better than looking at pics on the Internet....

stillwater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Strikefire on my budget AR15 build (who am I kidding? they're all budget... lol).

I love everything about it.

On mine the dot is nice and crisp with several brightness settings and red or green color choice. Though, to be fair when you get to the dimmer settings I cant tell a lot of difference.

It has a night vision setting for use with night vision optics (I have never had and probably never will have an opportunity to try this out. but, its still kinda cool.)

Automatic battery turn off. (not sure how long but its a while-IE: it has never turned off on me while in use.)

Nice Co-witness through the tube with the front sight post.

Comes with a 2x magnifier. The magnifier works great and mounts solidly. My only complaint on that is that you you have to spin it several times to thread it all the way on. This is good because it mounts solidly but it is certainly not quick. I would love to get a hold of a 4x magnifier and a flip-to-side type mount and this would completely alleviate any need for the 2x threaded magnifier.

The included mount feels very solid.

I also like the spring-open type lens covers.

I think I bought it from Opticsplanet.com for about $130 with free shipping. Del-ton and some others also carry that model, I believe.

Overall I am very happy with the quality and price.

I'm in Stillwater. If you're ever out this way or if you'd like, next time I'm in Tulsa, I could hit you up and you could look it over if you'd like.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Vortex is starting to get a fairly good name in the 3-gun world. I haven't found the dot in the one I won to be faint in any light, and I like the green! The N.V. settings are a bit too bright for gen3+ but it is usable. KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom