What presses you guys use??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dillon 550 (primary) and Rockchucker (low volume/precision/backup).
The 550 is rugged and covers rifle and pistol ammo at a low caliber conversion cost. There are 550 Dillon parts available on the used market IF you know what you're buying and why and are willing to search for deals. They've been in production since 1985.
The Rockchucker is for small runs, precision ammo, and a backup press if the 550 is ever down (unlikely).

I started with a Lee turrent setup which was fine, but I stuck with it for too long. I went almost 2 years without any non-22LR shooting because I didn't want to see, touch, or use that damned turrent press yet wouldn't buy factory centerfire ammo. I finally spent the money for an old Dillon press (RL450) and regretted not having spent the money years earlier. Loading pistol ammo today on a single stage or turret press is a great way to kill the fun associated with pistol shooting unless it is something low volume like long-range target or hunting. If you're wanting to shoot a bunch of pistol ammo, then spend the money to buy a press designed to load a bunch of ammo in a reasonably short time. Average cost per loaded round is not the only important thing to consider. If I had to reload much pistol ammo on a single stage press, I'd rather get a job at a fast-food place and buy retail plinking ammo instead of reloading it. Your time is worth something, you just have to figure out what it's worth.

Last edited:

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

To get the 550 running in a new cartridge, you just need a conversion kit for it and standard dies. The conversion kit is around $46 these days and comes with a shellplate, locator buttons, and a powder funnel. Sometimes you don't need a full conversion kit as you may load two cartridges that share the same shellplate, etc. If you already have dies, you can use them. If you want to use Lee dies to save some cash, they will work fine. A long time ago I was trying to decide between the Lee Classic Turret and the 550 and I ended up going with the 550 and am so happy I did. It will load ammo forever. My snails pace on it runs around 400 rounds per hour, but if I want to see how fast I can go, I can approach 600 rounds per hour. My goal is safety and I look in each round I make to make sure it has about the right amount of powder before seating a bullet on it.

Good luck,

Alan

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
now do you guys run a seperate powder thrower for each caliber or run the same one on everything and just re-adjust it? is it a big pain to swap it around like that?

Thanks for all the answers! Been reloading for about 8 years now but never been around a progressive press any

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I've always used the same power measure although I know they'd like to have you buy one for each cartridge you load $$$. I just don't see the point of that. I picked up a little knob that goes on the end of the powder measure adjustment bolt and I can usually dial in a powder charge in 5 minutes or so.

The nice thing about the 550 is that you can load one cartridge at a time on it and watch that cartridge go around to all the stations until you are comfortable running all 4 stations at once.

Good luck,

Alan

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
now do you guys run a seperate powder thrower for each caliber or run the same one on everything and just re-adjust it? is it a big pain to swap it around like that?

Thanks for all the answers! Been reloading for about 8 years now but never been around a progressive press any

I am only loading .45acp right now, but you can use the same powder dispenser. I hear you can just swap out the measuring stick thing. Get one for each caliber, and check it ( make necessary adjustments )

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
now do you guys run a separate powder thrower for each caliber or run the same one on everything and just re-adjust it? is it a big pain to swap it around like that?

I have 2 Dillon powder measures, with the standard rifle and pistol inserts for each. I keep 1 rifle and 1 pistol insert set for my most common rifle and pistol caliber. I adjust the other set as needed for any other caliber. With some planning and batch loading, I don't have to adjust the powder measures very often.

It's not hard to move a powder measure, but it is worthwhile to have a toolhead and powder die for each caliber. That way you can leave the die set adjusted and only have to adjust/check the powder measure.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One Dillon 550 (1992) and a Rockchucker (1992). Purchased the presses new. Both are high mileage and both have required replacement parts at no cost from the companies. RCBS even replaced the die boxes due to worn out hinges (Something that Hornady and Redding would not do. Both companies have excellent customer service.

Dies
Dillon
RCBS
Hornady
Redding
and
Lee

Latest posts

Top Bottom