What should a Homeowner do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do?

• Go run errands

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Make sure he doesn't get out until the police show up

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Run around in circles

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Hide

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

okieboomer1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Too many variables...but, if there are no family in the house, you have your family heirlooms in a fire safe, and you have really great insurance...bust the joint out, and let the intruder take the rap.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think there is a good answer with any of the options.

You better get on your phone and call 911 and get the professionals there pronto.

Anything you might do could result in innocent people getting hurt.

If you know there is no one home, except the intruder, unless you have enough people to guard all the exits all you might accomplish is putting one of the neighbors in danger as he/she tries to escape.

I say, just call the cops and try to prevent other innocent folks from unknowingly walking into a dangerous situation. Keep a safe distance and stay on the phone until the cops show up.

I think anyone who intentionally aggravates a situation could cause innocent people to get hurt and in turn be in a world of legal hurt.

On the flip side, if you know there are innocents inside, you actions could get them killed. It is a really sticky wicket and there are no good and safe actions.

On a less serious note, a few years ago a female friend of mine came home to find someone had been in her house. Nothing was stolen but the person left some really stinky piles of crap in the kitchen in front of her sink and some white sticky substances on her counter top.

She called the cops. While they were there she asked them what she should do if the guy returned when she was at home. One of the cops asked her if she had a gun. She said yes. He then told her that if he was inside the house shoot him and then call the cops. Then he said, if he is outside, shoot him, then drag him inside. If he is to heavy for you, call me and I will come drag him in your house.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the BG is in the house with guns I wouldnt want to be in the vicinity of any possible fire to be honest. The neighbor is already watching so he can keep doing that and i will just call the cops.

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Knowing that a burglary is in progress and no one is home, I would not risk my life by trying to do what law enforcement is trained to do. This is what I pay my high-ass insurance premiums for. If a family member was in the house during the burglary and hiding in a closet or under the bed... you bet I would enter armed with my carry weapon, and start kicking butt.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's see.....I would keep the guns locked in a safe like any responsible gun owner (except for the one I'm legally carrying). Call the police, because I know the BG wont get in the safe. Watch as the Po-Po take BG to soap-on-a-rope land.

Latest posts

Top Bottom