What tractor attachment for shaving off grass???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope!

Now on another note, can anyone generally tell me if filling low spots in a yard, will a pallet drag work to smooth the dirt before compaction? Or is it worth it to buy one of those metal chain looking drags like they use for a baseball infield (the kind with no added weights)? I want to dump dirt in the low areas with a shovel and do a rough rake and then let the drag do the rest of the work...no tedious finish hand raking if possible? I am gonna roll it with 400lbs after I drag it too.

Thanks!
Either way, the profile before compaction won't be the same as the profile after. Spreading dirt in the holes may look level, but the new dirt will compress more than the existing (read: already compacted) dirt. Several passes of new dirt, compaction, new dirt, compaction, etc. might get you there, but it won't be the same unless you really go to town on it.

At a previous job, I watched some compaction in preparation for erecting a new building. They brought in a crane of at least 100', ran a weight to the top that (based on estimated size and likely composition) must've weighed dozen tons or more, then let it freefall until impact. They did that over and over again for weeks. That was uniformly compact, or close enough for government work, anyway.

Granted, you don't need that level of uniformity (or of compaction, for that matter), but a couple of passes with a roller won't give you a long-term level surface. You need to either pound the daylights out of the new dirt, or till everything (to fluff it fairly equally) and then roll it all out (to compact it equally), to get it to be flat and level for the long term.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Either way, the profile before compaction won't be the same as the profile after. Spreading dirt in the holes may look level, but the new dirt will compress more than the existing (read: already compacted) dirt. Several passes of new dirt, compaction, new dirt, compaction, etc. might get you there, but it won't be the same unless you really go to town on it.

At a previous job, I watched some compaction in preparation for erecting a new building. They brought in a crane of at least 100', ran a weight to the top that (based on estimated size and likely composition) must've weighed dozen tons or more, then let it freefall until impact. They did that over and over again for weeks. That was uniformly compact, or close enough for government work, anyway.

Granted, you don't need that level of uniformity (or of compaction, for that matter), but a couple of passes with a roller won't give you a long-term level surface. You need to either pound the daylights out of the new dirt, or till everything (to fluff it fairly equally) and then roll it all out (to compact it equally), to get it to be flat and level for the long term.

He need me and 30 minutes to solve his dilima

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Granted, you don't need that level of uniformity (or of compaction, for that matter)
The last is an astronomical understatement. Industrial compaction is waaaaaay above and beyond what the average backyard is. :D

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last is an astronomical understatement. Industrial compaction is waaaaaay above and beyond what the average backyard is. :D
Heh. Astronomical is nothing.
"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers."
--Richard Feynman (who, one notes, died twenty years ago, when the national debt was a quarter of what it is today)

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well dave, let me work on it and then maybe I'll have you come take a look with the tractor...I do have a ground pounder hand compactor that I can hit the spots with...If I have to do several layers over time that fine. As for the spot where the barn is going up, I only have one go at that...doesn't have to be perfect but better than it is now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom