What's the most fouled up business/group you deal with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Yeah, the stories I could tell about my experiences with AT$T. What a charlie foxtrot of a company. I will never understand how every single SWBell/AT$T employee I've ever known or met has been an outstanding person, yet that company remains as useless as teats on a boar.

After I retire from them next month maybe I'll remember to come back to this and tell a few stories from the inside. :D

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AT&T...
106175-49d784bef6807223563e66ec189df5d0.jpg

When I got a cell phone, they overcharged our final land-line bill by $5.62. They sent a debit card for the balance.

Yep, a regular debit card, that I had to call and activate. For $5.62. I had the water company apply it to our bill.

And guess what else? There's a $3.00 monthly fee on the card (yeah, good luck with that). And I can't close the account until 8 days after using the card. And if I don't close it, it will remain active (apparently for months).

Idiots.
:drunk2:
Ditto

After the experience we had last summer trying to reestablish service with DirecTV (20 year customer), I will never again knowingly give AT&T a penny. They even tried to collect a bill for the month after canceling & 3 months without service. I told them to turn me into collections, report me to the credit bureaus, take whatever action you like. I'm an honest person that always pays what I owe. I'm never paying you a cent. Long story but leave it at WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got recruited by a large CPG (grocery foods) company to help them launch their first line of perishable products. They wanted me to move from AZ to their corporate office in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. I said "no" and thanked them. They called back a couple weeks later with more money and I again said "no". Another couple weeks go by and they offered more money and suggested Chicago. I had lived downtown before and love the city. We took their relo and moved to Illinois.

There about six months and they have a major sales meeing at a five star resort in Florida. For entertainment, they had Huey Lewis and the News one night and Jeff Dunham the second. Then they announced major restructure to "cut operating costs" and that people would be losing their jobs. I know they paid Lewis and his band $145,000 to perform a 45 minute set. We are at a hotel where a cup of coffee was $10. And they want to cut costs?!? The optics of this were numbing.

I look at my boss who is the #2 guy on the plantation and he says that I am OK. My job would not be cut because they just reached out to me and are paying me a ton of money to do something they did not have any expertise in. I didn't quite buy that and a few weeks later when we got back to the office, he asked me if I was a "team player" ... I said sure. He said, "Great, you job is moving to corporate hq in NJ."

I tell them "no" and they said fine, we will get you your separation papers which said that IF I wanted a $25,000 bonus, I would have to say that leaving the company was my doing. I told them to kiss my _____. THAT was a screwed up company.

That night I get home to have a recruiter call me about another opportunity that I ended up taking which eventually got us out of Illinois and down here to OK.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's funny; last year, they tried to send me unemployment that I never applied to get. They even sent me a debit card. I went online and filled out their "suspected fraud" form, and it said they'd stop the process, but I never heard another peep out of them.
Same.
After notifying everyone that needed notified I received a debit card.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long story but leave it at WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.
I don't know if it's still this way, but back when it was still SBC, a gal who worked for me had a friend who worked in an SBC call center. She said if the reps didn't try to sell you something before you got off the phone with them, the rep would get dinged for it.

That certainly explains why the reps did it (every. damn. time.) I called them, but that is the most brain-dead, idiotic customer "service" move I've ever heard. You have someone who is calling you because they have a problem with your service, so they're likely ticked off from the get-go, and you're going to try to sell them MORE of your crappy service? In what universe does this sound like a good plan?

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I don't know if it's still this way, but back when it was still SBC, a gal who worked for me had a friend who worked in an SBC call center. She said if the reps didn't try to sell you something before you got off the phone with them, the rep would get dinged for it.

That certainly explains why the reps did it (every. damn. time.) I called them, but that is the most brain-dead, idiotic customer "service" move I've ever heard. You have someone who is calling you because they have a problem with your service, so they're likely ticked off from the get-go, and you're going to try to sell them MORE of your crappy service? In what universe does this sound like a good plan?

About 18 years ago one of my fellow AT&T technician's wife got on with the call center in the same building we worked in. She gave it 6 months and decided it just wasn't her cup of tea. When she gave her 2 weeks notice her manager didn't know what to do with it. She said no one had ever given notice before, usually they either simply stopped showing up or just ran out of the building crying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom