What's the point of...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The length of barrel arguement is highly overstated in shotguns.

The purpose of shortening a shotgun is to render it lighter and more maneuverable.

A 14" shotgun is GREAT indoors.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
There will be a point at which going shorter WILL increase the spread. This will be for two reasons:

1) Slower, so spread will happen "faster" with respect to forward speed. IE, it will take the shot longer to get to the 10 yd target, giving more time for the shot to spread before it gets there.

2) The shot will spend less time in the confined barrel giving it less directional momentum.

My guess is after about 8"-12" that barrel length no longer changes spread from part 2) significantly. Although I have not done testing on that, so this is all it is, a guess.

I read an article that did some testing on short range targets (5 yd, 10 yd, 20 yds) ie, indoor ranges for home defense, and at those ranges, even with minimum choking, the shot still did not spread enough to just "point in the general direction", so the shooter would still have to aim.

So, in short, a sawed off shotgun will make it easier to move and aim, and will add some spread to your pattern compared to your 28" barrel, but you're not going to be hitting the bad guys head and toes at the same time down the length of your hall either.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot spreads out at a shorter distance when its coming out of a shorter barrel. Notice most people hunt with a 28" bbl.

a 20" barrel with a modified choke (or any choke) vs. a 28" barrel with the same choke will produce the same pattern. the lenght of the barrel, given 1) the same choke 2) the length on both barrels is at least 18" - will be the same.

shorter barrels only controlled the spread/pattern in older fixed choked guns when the barrel was cut off BEOFRE the choke, resulting in an open/cylinder choked gun - the widest spread available. if you cut off the barrel further down the barrel, after the choke, the choke still controlled the pattern. so a shorter gun, shorter barrel was faster to swing, but had no effect on the pattern.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Velocity will be lower in a shorty, so the pattern is wider.

I don't think that's true at all - all pressure is done generating inside the shell in shotgun, therefore barrel length will have little or no effect on the speed or pattern (less than 10fps per inch).

Barrel length has to do with balance and aim.

Sawed off shotgun makes it a hell-of "73 caliber" pistol though :)

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The primary reason for restricting sawed off shotguns is concealability. They are quite manueverable in confined spaces and offer big advantages in ,ilitary and LE applications in confined spaces. At self defense distances which is usually less than 7 yards the spread of any shotgun pattern is still quite small. I patterned a 14 inch 12 gauge at 5 yards with 00 Buck and put all 12 pellets into an 8" paper plate. Did the same test with a Taurus Judge and put all three 000 Buck pellets into about a 41/2 inch group on the plate. The short-barrel shotgun is not the "death ray" TV and movies make it out to be. It is still much easier to hit a man sized target at 7 yards or less with a shotgun than with a single projectile from a handgun or even a rifle.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Velocity will be lower in a shorty, so the pattern is wider.

I love short barelled shotguns.

i have to disagree with that. modern shells/powder reach max velocity at 18". with screw in chokes, an 18" barrel with a modified choke and a 28" barrel with the same choke will have the same spread.

before screw in chokes, you saw 36" duck barrels. the extra length of the barrel made for a longer choke built in the barrel. the tigher choke kept the shot closer together longer so you had a possibility of killing a duck at a greater distance. but it DID NOT speed up the velocity of the shot.

before screw in chokes - if you cut off the barrel BEFORE the choke you were left with a cylinder choke. this is the widest spread you can get. so a shortie had a wide spread because the choke was cut out of the barrel. Now, the pellets coming out of this shortie had the same velocity as shot coming out of a longer barrel. for the shortie - the fact that the spread was bigger did slow down the shot. shot traveling at 1325 feet per second traveled at 1325 fps regardless of the choke.

velocity-
velocity is not influenced by the barrel (as long as you have 18", under 18" max velocity is not reached). velocity is caused by the shell, i.e. the powder used and the amount (weight) of lead. a shell rated at 1325 feet per second will shoot 1325 feet per second from an 18", 20" , 26", 28", 30" barrel, makes no difference.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And why is a 16" barrel SG an evil no-no and an 18" barrel SG OK?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Well,.......theres this little thing called the National Firearms Act of 1934 that makes it a felony with a 10 year penalty and a $250,000.00 fine to possess a shotgun with a barrel less than 18".

You can thank the gangsters of the 20's and 30's for this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom