What's the point of...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The pattern is not wider at all, I don't think, necessarily - that just depends on choke. Now to the extent it may be backbored and you cut it at that point, then yes the pattern will be bigger because the muzzle is bigger at the exit point. But a shorter barrel does not necessarily translate into wider pattern.

Beyond that, I answered this question in your thread at thehighroad.org.

BuddyL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well,.......theres this little thing called the National Firearms Act of 1934 that makes it a felony with a 10 year penalty and a $250,000.00 fine to possess a shotgun with a barrel less than 18".

You can thank the gangsters of the 20's and 30's for this.

In some cases the penalty is your wife and son.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The spread of a .410 judge will be different from a 20" long gun won't it?

+1000 yes. In my tests in the handgun forum,,the judge puts out a really big pattern. The velocity is also reduced as the factory ammo is designed to be shot in the full length shotgun. A quicker powder would be needed to get the velocity back.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you mind sharing the results.

Obviously pattern will be terrible from the Judge (.450" hole for .410" shell is not exactly a choke).

As far as speeds - I'd like to see a comparison of slug from Judge and a full length shotty. (I searched and couldn't find).

jroberts1968

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would the pattern on a short barrel be larger than the pattern on a longer barrel?

The shot is coming out of the same size hole (assuming no choke on either barrel).

The only reason I can imagine for sawing short a barrel would be easier to carry and more maneuverable in confined spaces.

Bingo you won the prize. I have no Idea but what ever it is enjoy it, You may have to sell it if the economy stays this way..:thumbup3::thumbup3::thumbup3::thumbup3: The pattern does not spread wider just has more power from the shorter barrel I was told. but the real reason is when Clyde Barrow sawed of a barrel of BAR and started mowing down police and there cars. he was able to concell that much killing power in a hi suite. Also the SBS fame came from the NY and Chic mobsters gun of choice in the 40' and 50's.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom