What's up with the Nutsedge this year??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, yea,...I know this is a gun website but it's general forum, so here goes.

I never really noticed this pest of a weed until this year...WTH??!! Trust me, I don't skimp on my lawn but I have a buddy who did this year. Why, I don't know but now he's paying the price.

When I go over to his house to shoot pool or snooker, drink a few brews, play some guitars, and look at his bikes, I swear this stuff grows in a matter of a few hours!!

Example: He'll have the lawn mowed and in a few hours what looks like blades of grass are now 2-3 inches tall....yes, a few hours after the mowing.

He skimped on the lawn treatment service this year...why..who knows?? But now he's got nutsedge in his yard.

I don't know what type of plant hormones this stuff has...but dang, it grows 4-5 inches over night and spreads like wildfire.

I'm tempted to pull a few up (15-20) and toss them in a few "undesirable relatives" yards to see if it will take. Probably not, but one can hope. I think the Penn Square area and North to Wilshire needs some infestation.

Haven't looked it up, is this a native species or non-native invasive species?

Is it bad this year with the cooler and wetter weather we've had this summer? Anyone else have this issue?

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was bad here at our place in SW Oklahoma this year; we had pre-emergent put down but the guy was late and we have a ton of crabgrass now. I think his chemicals were watered down and he won't be back. I knocked most of the sedge out recently during the cool spell we had with a product called SedgeHammer - very effective and no impact on our bermuda grass. Just ordered enough for another shot in late September and a spring treatment from pesticideoutlet.com. They have great prices.

Cedar Creek

jstndrfr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before everyone starts blameing their spray guy----

There is no preemergent to control any of the weeds in the sedge family.

The last 2 summers have been so brutal it really had the bermuda grass thinned out. Now, all this rain and the grass being weak early in the year....lots of nutsedge.

The best product BY FAR is Dismiss. Its twice the product sedge hammer is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom