What's up with the Nutsedge this year??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dont pull the nutsedge. It has little "nuts"/Tubers all along the root hairs and when you pull the plant it spreads by leaving those little tubers in the ground. Just spray it and kill it top down.

*edited to add*

Nutsedge is an edible plant for all you foragers out there :-)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that it's still available to ag producers, maybe it's a different % than previously sold?

I don't know. It says it's 48.3% The old MSMA I used to buy would mix 1 oz/gal of water. This stuff says to mix 2 oz/gal of water. The 2 1/2 gal jug of this says it will treat 4 acres. I'm on an 1 acre less the house and concrete footprint. MSMA was the best stuff you could buy that would kill the narrow leaf weeds and crabgrass and not kill the bermuda. I've got a jug on the way so I guess we'll see how it works. I think there is still enough hot weather ahead to use it this year.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for the sedgehammer link. looks like lesco off of memorial carries it. we tried the "image" product but it yellowed the grass and was only semi effective. so what does the sedghammer cost?

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how this place can be selling MSMA since it was banned by the EPA but I just ordered some. I'm just overrun with crabgrass this year.

http://www.solutionsstores.com/MSMA...1&gdftrk=gdfV27229_a_7c825_a_7c2076_a_7c38431

Registrants of MSMA will not be permitted to sell the product for golf course use after December 31, 2012; however, distributors will be able to sell products containing MSMA until June 30, 2013. Use of MSMA on golf courses after December 31, 2013, will be prohibited.

Thanks to all the rain this year we had nutgrass and some broadleaf weeds from hell so a cocktail of 2,4-D and MSMA produced the final knockout blow. The high temperature last week and lack of rain really helped too. Don’t forget to read the labeling so you don’t have a dirt landscape or hurt yourself. P.S. mixing the two listed above will make instant snot/silly putty so practice what we all learned in chemistry, add the compound to the water not the other way around. : ) Also, find out what temperature ranges are good, bad or are just a waste of money before application.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ran across this segment from OETA's Oklahoma Gardening:

I should probably note that this segment is from 2006, so the part with the chemicals might be out of date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know. It says it's 48.3% The old MSMA I used to buy would mix 1 oz/gal of water. This stuff says to mix 2 oz/gal of water. The 2 1/2 gal jug of this says it will treat 4 acres. I'm on an 1 acre less the house and concrete footprint. MSMA was the best stuff you could buy that would kill the narrow leaf weeds and crabgrass and not kill the bermuda. I've got a jug on the way so I guess we'll see how it works. I think there is still enough hot weather ahead to use it this year.

I've still got a jug or two, I'll look.

jstndrfr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
MSMA will only yellow nutsedge, do you guys listen? Buy Dismiss or the active ingredient Sulfentrazone.

Commercial applicator with years and years of experience and @ 700 of the best looking yards in OKC metro.

But by sedgehammer and then go buy Dismiss when it doesnt work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom