Where can I get a GOOD cantaloupe ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At one time , Pecos cantaloupe were highly sought.
Today, Pecos cantaloupe is meaningless. Cantaloupe isn't grown in Pecos, any longer. Presidio is the one to get. No longer enough water in Pecos.

Not all melons sold as Rush Spring, are Rush Spring. I worked with a guy that lives between Sterling and Fletcher. When the prices got stupid, he started planting watermelon. He would load a trailer and sell his "Rush Spring" melons in Lawton.

I would not buy one. $10 vs $4 @Aldi. He says, "bought the seed at Rush Spring Co-Op, they are Rush Spring melons."

"Whatever helps you justify it, in your mind."

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today, Pecos cantaloupe is meaningless. Cantaloupe isn't grown in Pecos, any longer. Presidio is the one to get. No longer enough water in Pecos.

Not all melons sold as Rush Spring, are Rush Spring. I worked with a guy that lives between Sterling and Fletcher. When the prices got stupid, he started planting watermelon. He would load a trailer and sell his "Rush Spring" melons in Lawton.

I would not buy one. $10 vs $4 @Aldi. He says, "bought the seed at Rush Spring Co-Op, they are Rush Spring melons."

Peco are good. There is a small place down that does sell them. Not many though.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back around '70, we lived out in Midland. There was this old Mexican that would go to Pecos, get his pickup and trailer loaded with cantaloupe. He would sell the trailer load to Gibson's. Gibson's sold them 4 for $1.

He would park his pickup on the corner, in front of Gibson's and sell his 10 for $1.

We bought a lot of cantaloupe from him. Dad knew him, from his days as Produce Manager and Store Manager for Safeway.

One day we were in Gibson's and a woman asked Dad how to pick a good cantaloupe? I said to go out front and get 10 instead of 4.

She was shocked, says, "I would never buy from that Mexican. Who knows where those came from. These are inspected and certified safe."

Dad got us out of there fast, as I was laughing.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Peco are good. There is a small place down that does sell them. Not many though.
Yeah I just bought a couple Pecos last week for $4.99 each. Can confirm they are still super sweet and delicious.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from Norman Farm Market....bought a couple bags full of stuff from Mulberry...lots of lbs. It ended up being way affordable...way less than Pubix or any of those rip offs. It was at least the same or less than our Williams here.

I highly recommend that y'all go give him some money next time he sets up.

@Beautiful Mulberry when's the next time you set up?

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from Norman Farm Market....bought a couple bags full of stuff from Mulberry...lots of lbs. It ended up being way affordable...way less than Pubix or any of those rip offs. It was at least the same or less than our Williams here.

I highly recommend that y'all go give him some money next time he sets up.

@Beautiful Mulberry when's the next time you set up?
I will be in Norman every Saturday at Farm Market. Thank you for stopping by. I’m glad you got to meet your hero!🤣 I always give more than take.

Latest posts

Top Bottom