Where can I get E85 fuel in Tulsa area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sports and muscle cars aren't really my thing (4x4s are more my speed), so this is an honest question. Considering that ethanol supposedly has less potential energy in it compared to gasoline (hence the worse fuel mileage), how does it benefit high performance engines when compared to 100% gasoline, in vehicles such as Tony's drag bike?

When something is set up and tuned to run on alcohol there is tons of power to be made.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get that it's alcohol, but if that alcohol has less energy than gasoline, I don't get it (not disbelieving, just pleading ignorance). In my world, a Toyota with a great running 22RE working with 5.88s, or a TJ with a solid 4.0 and 5.13s... those are more within my comprehension :)

I guess it comes down to the tuning, as you said. Does it have to do with stuffing massive amounts of it down in the cylinders for a 1/4 mile? Is gasoline not as conducive to that method of combustion?

Not meaning to hijack the thread, though it looks like the question has been answered. So I don't feel too bad about it :)

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am certainly no E85 expert here...so maybe someone with more knowledge can pitch in.......but E85 has a very high octane rating, ie...it doesn't go off prematurely in high compression engines or low compression engines running a pile of boost like in my application. Of course you have to pour more in to get it to go, hence the low mileage with alcohol. The same engine could be run on gasoline, but it would take about 108 octane race gas to get it to work. You can't buy that at the pump, which is fine for a bike set up for drag racing only, but this bike is street legal and I plan to ride it around town as well as run it at the strip. That's why E85 is really the way to go in this particular hybrid application.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can buy E85 by the drum. its the regulated stuff, you need to buy a tester if you get it from the pump. Different. seasons they make different blends. Rally distributing okc.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 reason is you can run higher compression with alcohol, another is it takes less air to burn so with the same amount of air you can burn more alcohol than gasoline in the some area, ie. the cylinder. more fuel = more power

...but E85 has a very high octane rating, ie...it doesn't go off prematurely in high compression engines or low compression engines running a pile of boost like in my application. ...

Putting the pieces together, that confirms what I was suspecting. Thanks guys for the ethanol primer :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom