Which 7.62 x 39 rifle to buy??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 7.62 x 39 rifle to buy?

• SKS

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • AK 47

Votes: 54 75.0%
  • Mini 30

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other 7.62 x 39 rifle

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Trade ammo for another 30 cal rifle format

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And because it is a Mauser, it is inadvisable to chamber a round except through the magazine, due to the extractor design.

Mauser bolt actions are controlled round feed as opposed to push feed. That means you can chamber a round while upside down, falling through the sky, or in any other desperate situation and not have the cartridge get away. The down side is, if one drops a round into the chamber and forces the bolt shut, it will damage and eventually destroy the extractor.

Professional hunters in Africa have strong feelings about controlled round feed vs push feed, but not all of them are on the same side. It's faster in an emergency to drop in one round and slam the bolt shut on it, but if you are dodging an angry critter and trying to reload from the magazine, push feed rifles have been known to lose a round on the ground.

Here's another idea for the 7.62x39--buy the cheapest old Savage, preferably with a short action, and rebarrel it. Now you can use up the 600 rounds, and you have a "switchbarrel" rifle. Anyone with average mechanicl skills can do it. http://www.savageshooters.com/ This site can provide all the info you need to make the swap. CB

mdm.gunbroker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for all your knowledge and input. If/when I buy it'll probably be an AK. A little concerned about the brass ammo though.

I was at USSA yesterday and one of the Range Masters suggested I take a short "full auto" cert course. They have full auto AK's they rent pretty cheaply by the day. Not sure I could sleep burning through that much ammo that quickly, but certainly tempting for some of it!!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for all your knowledge and input. If/when I buy it'll probably be an AK. A little concerned about the brass ammo though.

I was at USSA yesterday and one of the Range Masters suggested I take a short "full auto" cert course. They have full auto AK's they rent pretty cheaply by the day. Not sure I could sleep burning through that much ammo that quickly, but certainly tempting for some of it!!

Once you touch the giggle switch, you'll find that the only way to control the AK is with 3 to 5 round burst's to keep the muzzle down, and on target. She can climb rather fast on full auto.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or not quite as good, but better than an AK - an AR15 in 7.62x39.

I agree with this. I have a Model One 20" upper on my AR, chambered for 7.62x39. It's fairly accurate out to 300 meters, and a lot of fun to shoot. The looks I get from other shooters when they see the brass ejected from my AR are priceless ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom