Which Judge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, those giant disks in that Winchester ammo have almost no sectional density - it'd almost be like slapping them with a metal frisbee - would smart and leave a red mark but not penetrate much.

My sentiments exactly.

You know, they could combine all of those tiny bits of metal into one wadcutter bullet and load that into the .410 shell. It might actually have enough sectional density to do some good. Of course, if you are going to do that, then why not just load 45LC ammo? Or even better, just buy a 45LC (or 44) revolver in the first place. Speer makes factory snakeshot loads for it and also sells just the shot capsules for reloaders.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those winchester rounds look pretty potent. For the naysayers, maybe somebody should do a test by shooting 1/2" plywood at 20 feet. I'd bet they make a pretty good hole. As far as the Judge, i wouldnt want one. I'd prefer a 38 special with a 2" barrel. Load the first two rounds with birdshot and the rest with plus p jacketed hollow points. When attacked shoot the bad guy in the face with the first two, he'll stop because he has birdshot in his eyeballs. If he's still a threat you have 3 or 4 rounds capable of stopping any human threat. This is a light easy to handle gun that in my opinion would do the same thing as the judge.

Actually, I think they look pretty... irritating. Not necessarily potent. Though I won't volunteer to be shot with one.

I have no idea how they would stabilize, given their shortness and the shallow rifling used in the Judge. But maybe that's the ticket! Turned sideways, the sectional density looks great! :thumb:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still people like the mystic of having a shotgun handgun.

BINGO!
It's a cult, and the true believers are not swayed by any shooting tests or discussion.
When a new one shows up at the range, I nod politely at the blather, ignore the fanatic look in the eyes, and just set up a silhouette target about 10 feet away.

No point putting them on the plate rack range at 10 yards......

GoldenBear

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you do, you might want to read the review in Swat Magazine The September 2010 issue of SWAT magazine has an article on the Judge by Tom Givens of Range-masters in Memphis TN. He is a certified firearms instructor for the FBI and the state of Tennessee. His conclusions after testing the Taurus Judge, including with bird shot, buckshot, and slugs as well as .45 Colt loads:

"The verdict?
I can't find anything the Judge does well that a standard handgun won't do better.
At room ranges (5 to 7 yards) the buckshot pattern is so small that it must be aimed precisely, just like a handgun bullet, so there is no advantage there. Beyond that distance, danger to bystanders is simply too great to even consider using the gun. With bird shot, the Judge is essentially useless. With .45 ammo, it is a large, ungainly piece with poor accuracy.

As part of the testing he fired bird shot at 15 feet into a plastic water bottle and the few pellets that hit is simply bounced off, Also, a .410 slug load in the Judge launches a 90 grain projectile at less than 1,000 fps. In other words, it has the ballistics of a .380 ACP in a gun bigger and heaver than many .44 magnums. You don't need much more info than that to know that the Judge is a bad idea for a defensive gun, but Taurus is making a ton of money off of it.

If like me, you missed the SWAT magazine article in September, Tom Givens does an interview on the ProArms Podcast and he discusses the Judge and it's shortcomings.
http://proarmspodcast.com/2010/10/03/060-protecting-yoursel-on-the-street-and-in-court/

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
410 was considered marginal for social work fired from a shotgun .. How would it get better from a handgun?

These other guys are right.... Find her a beater SW10 and a case of wadcutters.... She will be ahead if she "learns to shoot"

gritlife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
To answer the OP...

if I had to get a judge, for a woman, for home def, it would be an all-steel model with a full grip (some models come with the shorter 3-finger grip). Good luck with whatever you choose.

gritlife

Cadesdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had been wanting to get a Judge...

Glad I read these reviews and put some logic to it. I thought it would be good for my wife for home defense. She likes my model 59 Smith anyway, why change if it works.

Have your sister-in-law run 40 yards and pick up the gun and shoot at a target. That way she'll be prepared for shooting with her heart pounding.

Pb Slinger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta agree with most of these posts. 6 rounds of .38+p over .410 any day. Plus the gals I've gone shooting with are intimidated by the bigger round and bigger gun. The .38 may be just her size.

Latest posts

Top Bottom