Who All Got The "Dreaded" Netflix E-Mail?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I concur, and use the disc at roughly the same rate. About 6 months in, and I've watched 1 dvd from them. I guess I'm gonna miss it a lot?

Same here. The streaming service is worth the $7.99 even if it isn't that great. I don't really care about the dvd's since I buy blu-rays to watch at home. I believe I've gotten 3 dvds from them and had one almost 7 months before I sent it back.

lovetoshoot

Marksman
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. My Netflix account was setup with my spam email account that I never check. I quickly cancelled my service. It's funny how when you went through the options of why you want to cancel, nothing about the recent price hike was mentioned or allowed as an option. :scratch:

Oh well. The wife may be pissed, but 17.99 a month is not going to happen. Plus we have resorted to renting from the kiosk at the stores because Netflix never had what we wanted in stock.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand that with any business a price increase maybe neccisary buy to double your price all at one time is a little hard to swallow. IMOHO they had this in mind the whole time once they got their numbers where they wanted them. Sorry but $9.99 is great price for entertainment but almost double it and they've just wentout of my price range.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7.99 for streaming I'll keep, 'cause I save two bucks.

They're going to lose money and they don't understand this. They took off after streaming, and to most people, Netflix IS streaming and the one DVD is a bonus. I'm a pretty hardcore movie guy but I hardly use the DVD delivery function, unless I want to watch an obscure movie they don't have streaming. Sure isn't an eight dollar a month value.

By making the most popular service cheaper and charging double for what amounts to the least popular service (DVD delivery) is only going to lose them money. Very few people will actually pay for both, considering you could get 8 redbox movies in one month, with the perk of instant gratification.

They'll end up either neutering streaming to try and drive people back to the DVD service, or they'll end their rate hike. Or go out of business. Either/or.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to Mr. Swasey, their streaming library "is more than you can watch in a lifetime". He wouldn't comment on how many have been added. Numbers were around 20,000 last year. These numbers fluctuate because not all currently streaming titles are available all the time. Some are available only for a certain time until the license expires.

Not to mention that many of the streaming titles are old or B movies. We'll keep streaming only bc I play documentaries in background while I work and kids watch the old Disney shows but that's it. As far as DVDs go, we have one on the counter we've had for 3 weeks and still have yet to watch. Think if we want something we can't stream we'll head to RedBox. They have new releases too which Netflix always seems to be short on.

I did see an article a while back about how they were in debt up to their eyeballs and would go belley up in about 24 months unless something drastic changed. I guess they started dumping money into licensing contracts to get newer stuff but already had a bad rep for only having old crap so their subscriber numbers didn't increase to match the licensing contracts they'd inked.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do most of you stream via x-boxes or Wi? Just trying to figure this out. I have the 3 dvd plan as mentioned before, but sometimes have the same 3 movies for a month... at a buddies in Bartlesville over the 4th and he streamed via a Wi BUT like was said previously it was limited selection. I guess I'll drop the plan and hope they don't take 3 months to do it... good thread by the way.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to mention that many of the streaming titles are old or B movies. We'll keep streaming only bc I play documentaries in background while I work and kids watch the old Disney shows but that's it. As far as DVDs go, we have one on the counter we've had for 3 weeks and still have yet to watch. Think if we want something we can't stream we'll head to RedBox. They have new releases too which Netflix always seems to be short on.

I did see an article a while back about how they were in debt up to their eyeballs and would go belley up in about 24 months unless something drastic changed. I guess they started dumping money into licensing contracts to get newer stuff but already had a bad rep for only having old crap so their subscriber numbers didn't increase to match the licensing contracts they'd inked.
I guess what Mr. Swasey doesn't understand is how many of those 20,000 movies are going to pertain to any one person's interests. I'm finding it harder and harder to find things on their streaming service that I really want to watch.

I might have seen that article as well. I remember reading that some of the movies they have streaming costs Netflix as much as $4 each time they are streamed. Also as far as streaming, VUDU is the way to go if you want to rent new releases. The quality between them and Netflix is like night and day.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stream on computer at work. At home this kiddos stream with Wii. I rarely watch on xbox in the other room. I do however watch ESPN through xbox all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom