Who All Got The "Dreaded" Netflix E-Mail?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saying they were seperating their streaming and dvd service into two seperate plans? The current $9.99 plan (streaming + 1 DVD out at any time) beginning sometime soon will be $7.99 for streaming and 1 DVD out at any time plan will also be $7.99. Personally, I don't care because basically all I use is the streaming service but theres lot of others that do. Lots of people claiming to cancel on them on social networking sites and such. Reading an article on MSNBC about this, Steve Swasey, vice president of corporate communications for Netflix seems to be a little out of touch with the rest of the world, or at least could use some lessons on how to not offend his customer base. Here's some of what he said:

"$6 more is a remarkable value, a latte or two every month. For most folks it’s absorbable"

"30,000 or so is a sub set of 23 million subscribers. They're not speaking for the majority. But, their opinion is important and we value them."

"We would like those members to stay with Netflix, but the reality is people will leave. We'll make it up over time and the service will continue to grow. I don't want to sugarcoat this. We do expect a certain amount of people to leave the service," Swasey said. Besides, "Netflix members already go to Redbox, order cable, go to theater and Amazon."

Streaming titles numbered about 20,000 a year ago, he said, and while he wouldn't reveal how much they've added, he did say it was "more than you can watch in a lifetime."

This all sounds like its coming from someone who is comfortable setting at the top, but it seems like Netflix is getting alot of bad rep lately. Not just online but word of mouth. I've thought about cancelling a couple of times but the streaming is worth the price even if it is sub-par.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure WTF I'll do... I have had the 3 DVD plan forever.... I have to upgrade firmware in Samsung BR player and get a wireless card to stream... I THINK. Heck I work with computers and can't figure some of this crap out... geeeezzzz, comeon football = LESS movies! :-)

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well this kinda brings me back to my Netflix thread. I have no problem as long as they hurry up and increase the library for their streaming media.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to Mr. Swasey, their streaming library "is more than you can watch in a lifetime". He wouldn't comment on how many have been added. Numbers were around 20,000 last year. These numbers fluctuate because not all currently streaming titles are available all the time. Some are available only for a certain time until the license expires.

glock girl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with the streaming-only option. We have Stream + 1 disc now, but in the year and a half that we've been subscribers, I think we're on our third or fourth dvd.

I concur, and use the disc at roughly the same rate. About 6 months in, and I've watched 1 dvd from them. I guess I'm gonna miss it a lot?

Latest posts

Top Bottom