Who knows about roofing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is still practiced if the home buyer requests it when the home is built and is willing to pay the price difference. It makes a better roof surface even though the knots will fall out. If I built a house I would definately look into the cost of 1x6 decking rather than that crap OSB plywood. Most of the knots are no bigger than golf ball diameter and it will not compromise the roof surface unless a hailstone finds that spot. My parrents live in a house thats 50 years old with this type of deck and the same thing you describe has happened to there roof with no issues.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a new house in 1976 and they used 1x's for the roof decking in all the houses in that neighborhood then.

As stated before it shouldn't hurt a thing unless the structural integrity of the board is compromised.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is typical on roofs decked with 1x's as they age and dry out. The knots are denser than the normal grained boards, and the two expanded and move at different rates during the hot and cold cycles. This is especially common with pine 1x's. It's nothing to worry about unless it's a particularity large knot and the structural integrity of the board is compromised.

I used to have the checklists, but I think it was 1.5" for a 1x6 before you worry about it. Could have been 2.5, hell I can't remember.
There were a lot of them in New Orleans, surprisingly.

If on a loss and I found obvious negligence by the contractor that installed it, I would usually process the claim as usual, and send it to our subrogation unit so they could decide if they wanted to litigate.

You have to take care of the insured first!

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
we still install 1x's if the owners want. it is more costly then osb. you will get a stronger roof decking with tounge and groove 1x's then the osb. if the knots are not bigger then a golf ball don't worry. also look the wood over around the knot holes for rot. sometimes the wood will rot and cause the knots to fall out.look for sagging around a knot hole. if the boards are sagging then you may need to repair them.

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt do it, the roof deck was like that when we bought it. I have at least one board that is broken all the way through, how do you fix that if its already mounted, put anohter board under it and nail it in place?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt do it, the roof deck was like that when we bought it. I have at least one board that is broken all the way through, how do you fix that if its already mounted, put anohter board under it and nail it in place?
Yes, basically put a scab under it and use wood screws of the appropriate size so they do not penetrate the shingles. If you use a 3/4" board, use 1" deck screws and countersink them 1/4"

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, basically put a scab under it and use wood screws of the appropriate size so they do not penetrate the shingles. If you use a 3/4" board, use 1" deck screws and countersink them 1/4"

I think I would add the words "Wait until October, then..." on to this, but yes :) I have not done this with roofing but have with some joists under the floor at my fathers house. You basically build a splint across the break. We filled the gap in ours with wood filler as the break split the wood and some material fell out, leaving a void.

Latest posts

Top Bottom