Who knows about roofing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Strange question about the roof deck.....I was in the attic the other day, and it appears that all and I mean all, the knots in the wood they used for the roof deck have popped out leaving a hole in the wood you can see the felt through...6 months ago it wasnt like that.

What happened and will insurance cover it?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The insurance company wont cover it. Do you have any way to prove the knots have come out in the last six months?

That's kind of a bold statement.

Protip (I'm an adjuster, FWIW) : The cause of the damage needs to be determined before knowing if there coverage or not. Once the peril is identified, it can be determined if it is covered and when it occurred (if there is coverage).

hey didnt use plywood?

This. I'm confused.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Strange question about the roof deck.....I was in the attic the other day, and it appears that all and I mean all, the knots in the wood they used for the roof deck have popped out leaving a hole in the wood you can see the felt through...6 months ago it wasnt like that.

What happened and will insurance cover it?

That is typical on roofs decked with 1x's as they age and dry out. The knots are denser than the normal grained boards, and the two expanded and move at different rates during the hot and cold cycles. This is especially common with pine 1x's. It's nothing to worry about unless it's a particularity large knot and the structural integrity of the board is compromised.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they stop using those in the 40's and 50's??

Yes and no, they were cheap and a time waste for home builders and professionals, but DIY's still used them. Also, If the deck is fine you peel down to the deck and then re-shingle. Or in the case of one of my houses from the past. You shingle over the 1 x's with shakes then 3 layers of asphalt.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is typical on roofs decked with 1x's as they age and dry out. The knots are denser than the normal grained boards, and the two expanded and move at different rates during the hot and cold cycles. This is especially common with pine 1x's. It's nothing to worry about unless it's a particularity large knot and the structural integrity of the board is compromised.

I never even considered a modern roof being decked with boards and not plywood sheets- thanks for the insight! I was wondering if the OP meant the rafters or other framing, but it makes sense now.

As far as insurance, I would think this would not be covered as it's not a singular loss occurring from a distinct event. This would be an inherent vice of using this product in these conditions (namely, as roof decking with exposure to the high heat). But yea, probably not that big of a deal as I am not sure anything was compromised by the knots popping out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom