Why do you carry a revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Made me look up a few model numbers too.

Question, does S&W make a .22 revolver that is similar in looks and with only slightly lighter steel frame. I sure like the looks of the Model 36 in 3”. Would like to add a 36 and something of very similar proportions in .22.

As to the question, I carry both. Revolver most. Just what I bought my first quality holster for, and for safety. Now I have good holsters for both. But most of the semi-autos are on the “Full Size” and beefy end. Still, like a couple so much that they spend time on my belt too.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like a revolver because it never jams,
Sort of like AK’s never jam either…until they do. I have had plenty of wheel gun failures even with high-quality revolvers. If you run anything mechanical hard enough, you will find it is not infallible.
Modern semi automatics have become extremely reliable as well, so this is sort of an old piece of accepted wisdom that doesn’t hold up.
I carry a revolver for very niche reasons, for example a J frame fits in the sweat pants pockets easily for running the trash cans out to the curb at 10PM because as you were getting into bed, you realized you forgot to put them out.

If it is no gun or a five shot revolver it’s an easy decision. Also, if I am shooting at 25 or 50 yards for accuracy there’s nothing I like better than my 4 inch Smith 627.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally have had a revolver jam due to the primers backing out of their cases during a hot session of rapid fire 357 Magnum. The revolver became as useful as a paperweight I have never carried one on duty since.
Some years ago, I bought a SW 629DX. Most accurate out of the box handgun I have ever heard of much less owned. Came with a test target with 5 shots being looking like a 3 shot cluster at 25 yards.

Gun locked up on me. Could not open the cylinder. SW repaired it. Worked great then it locked up again. Sent it back again.

Got it back, shot 50 rounds through it with no issues. Still just insanely accurate. Sold it to some lucky guy here because I had zero confidence in it.

Every now and then, there is an unreliable revolver that one loses confidence in.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some years ago, I bought a SW 629DX. Most accurate out of the box handgun I have ever heard of much less owned. Came with a test target with 5 shots being looking like a 3 shot cluster at 25 yards.

Gun locked up on me. Could not open the cylinder. SW repaired it. Worked great then it locked up again. Sent it back again.

Got it back, shot 50 rounds through it with no issues. Still just insanely accurate. Sold it to some lucky guy here because I had zero confidence in it.

Every now and then, there is an unreliable revolver that one loses confidence in.

Never had a revolver mess-up yet, maybe I'm just lucky.....Had a Taurus that had a misfire, but think it was ammo.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you load a bad round ( high primer)
Into your gun ? How would that bad round of cycled through a semi auto? I have never heard of a primer that was seated correctly back out of the primer pocket.
Low pressure rounds will allow the primer to come out of the primer pocket.
You need the pressure to push the case back into the frame where it is flat and this keeps the primer pushed into the case.

If you do not believe that then take a primed case without any powder and fill it with wax by pushing it into a wax candle.

Or for 357-38 take a crayon insert it into the primed case and break it off flush and fire it.
That is loads of fun but the primer will back out so just load 1 at a time.
They make plastic practice bullets for 357.
That is how you use them.

You can drill primer pockets out larger to cure some of that.

Stuff happens.

I see more jams with autoloaders and it is many times a round that is stuck on the feed ramp.

I have a question WTF did almost every semi auto hand gun manufacturer copy the crappy ramp of the 1911.

It is not a ramp it is a crooked wall.
Many of those hand guns are picky on nose profile or OAL to get up that "wall" ramp.

I hate them.
I love my Hi-Point for the simple fact they did not copy cat the stupid ramp.

They knew it was an issue and worked around it and made it better.
I eventually got my 1911 to feed reliably.

But hardly ever take it out but my Hi-Point 9, 40 and 45's see a lot of use

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had a revolver mess-up yet, maybe I'm just lucky.....Had a Taurus that had a misfire, but think it was ammo.

I had a firing pin in a revolver break in 1/2 but they sell those for an easy fix.
Google.
firing pin in revolver broke

Turns up a lot.
I love my revolvers all 357 Magnum but the wife has claimed them all as hers.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wif carried a S&W M60, until a hoodrat obtained it. Dallas PD lost it evidence. Replaced with a Ruger SP101 DAO .357 for years. Uncle Arthur now makes DA impossible. She now has a Commander.

I carried a 1911 for many years, occasionally swapping for the M60 or SP101. Sold the SP101. Divide my carry between Commander and 4" S&W Highway Patrolman.
Out in the pasture, it's a 2 gun rig, with a Blackhawk .41Mag and Single Six.

CZFan

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally have had a revolver jam due to the primers backing out of their cases during a hot session of rapid fire 357 Magnum.
Do you believe the problem was due to the ammo or the gun? I have also had the same problem with a Ruger service 6, but not with a S&W model 19. Problem was due to crappy 38 special reloads.

j99tc88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the time I have a 360 pd in 357, but filled with 38+p, wife picks it up slot and the 357 loads are a bit harsh
The other is a 442-2. Not as light as the 360 but comfortable. That being said normally a semi with several mags are usually available also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom