Why do you carry a revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reliability? Ease of use? Nostalgia?

Seems like the capacity and reload disadvantages would hinder this choice, but I'm sure there are some that still prefer a wheel gun.
Yes sir I do....

Attachments

• 20240222_125458_HDR.jpg
    20240222_125458_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240222_125541.jpg
    20240222_125541.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some years ago, I bought a SW 629DX. Most accurate out of the box handgun I have ever heard of much less owned. Came with a test target with 5 shots being looking like a 3 shot cluster at 25 yards.

Gun locked up on me. Could not open the cylinder. SW repaired it. Worked great then it locked up again. Sent it back again.

Got it back, shot 50 rounds through it with no issues. Still just insanely accurate. Sold it to some lucky guy here because I had zero confidence in it.

Every now and then, there is an unreliable revolver that one loses confidence in.
You remember the SW test they do to their pistols? They load three rounds with three empty chambers so it is loaded, empty, loaded, etc. I bought a new Model 13 4 inch and it had the three dark circles from the test firing on the front of the cylinder. I'm sure glad I took it to the range because those three chambers were the only ones that would fire reliably. Sent it back to SW and got a good revolver back.

Papa Mike

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Low pressure rounds will allow the primer to come out of the primer pocket.
You need the pressure to push the case back into the frame where it is flat and this keeps the primer pushed into the case.

If you do not believe that then take a primed case without any powder and fill it with wax by pushing it into a wax candle.

Or for 357-38 take a crayon insert it into the primed case and break it off flush and fire it.
That is loads of fun but the primer will back out so just load 1 at a time.
They make plastic practice bullets for 357.
That is how you use them.

You can drill primer pockets out larger to cure some of that.

Stuff happens.

I see more jams with autoloaders and it is many times a round that is stuck on the feed ramp.

I have a question WTF did almost every semi auto hand gun manufacturer copy the crappy ramp of the 1911.

It is not a ramp it is a crooked wall.
Many of those hand guns are picky on nose profile or OAL to get up that "wall" ramp.

I hate them.
I love my Hi-Point for the simple fact they did not copy cat the stupid ramp.

They knew it was an issue and worked around it and made it better.
I eventually got my 1911 to feed reliably.

But hardly ever take it out but my Hi-Point 9, 40 and 45's see a lot of use
So your a hi point fan , hate 1911s, and drill out primer pockets 👍🏼
Enough said

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So your a hi point fan , hate 1911s, and drill out primer pockets 👍🏼
Enough said
HA!
You have not had all the revolver shooting fun unless you have drilled out some primer pockets.

I do not so much hate the 1911 I hate the feed ramp that is a crappy wall that pushes the projectile back into the case after chambering it.

Measure the OAL of a round and chamber it in a 1911 style or your sig or glock whatever semi auto you have.
Then remove that round and remeasure it.

Something needs to stop with the copy cat abrupt feed ramp.
That is as bad as Edelbrock Copy Cat the Carter AFB.

There are simple issues that can be fixed with simple casting changes.
Heck Edelbrock changed the center front screw with a casting change so I know they are capable.

Just something I see and wonder why in the heck do they keep building them like that.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t but I see a place for them, if you are not going to practice immediate action often on your semi auto, go revolver. Immediate action is: pull the trigger again.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t carry a revolver, unless it’s a full size N frame for BBQ or for snake/vermin purposes in the country. For two legged vermin I prefer the capacity control and modern features of the auto loader.

I too have encountered issues with revolvers. Not as many as with semis, but enough that I think the belief that revolvers are more reliable than semis is a head in the sand or “the good ole days” view.

I’ve also put a lot more rounds through semiauto pistols than revolvers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom