Why does anybody use facebook?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For some reason, facebook cancelled my account last week. I guess they don't like me. I'm done with it, I didn't like those people anyway.

Though I didn't mind my wife wanting to poke me 3-4 times a day.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Employers and LEO's are using them to bust people.
Just saw a news thing yesterday where a detective that goes after parole violaters says these sites are like hitting a gold mine.

I use it sometimes to get to know who my sister is dating. And no, she doesn't usually tell me their name.

I make my living using and programing state of the art industrial control systems.

PLC's?

I am against facebook for anything but business, charity, or political work. Why in the hell would you put personal info on the web?

It's generally available anyway, why not control it?

In a different sort of way, we give a little bit of our personal business away here on OSA.

Yep. And many who think they are anonymous give away a lot more information than they realize... especially when you combine posts together from multiple forums that they are on.

BUT! not to the level that those on the social networking sites give up every function of their lives including times to crap.

I can't stand it when people tell me about every moment of their lives.

I enjoy Facebook. Not in a high school, gotta chat with everyone every night kind of way. But just to keep tabs with close friends.

From the perspective of a 19 year old... And this is common, I help my mom ALL the time on Facebook...

Stay away from applications, and you'll be fine. I don't play Farmville, Frontierville, Mafia Wars, Aquarium World, or any of the other endless games that leach productivity away for the American economy. I don't "Like" something just so that I can get entered into a drawing for a free iPad. I rarely add friends, I don't speak in groups, and I don't click thinks that I can't guarantee the origin of. There are maybe 5 people that I talk to on a regular basis. No problems here.

+1

I deleted my facebook account yesterday. I grew sick and tired of them taking liberties with my privacy.

I was browsing peopleofwalmart.com and noticed that the ad on the right side of the screen showed profile pictures from Facebook. No big deal, except that they were people I knew. No big deal except that I had just deleted my cache and cookies, including LSO cookies. They *still* found a way to invade my privacy. It pissed me off enough that I deleted my account. Here is the link in case anyone wants to follow suit:

https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

I'm willing to bet you ANYTHING that was public information or that they had friended a bot they didn't know.

It's like the so-called "leak" of 100 million people's profile information... that was all public and worked the same way as Googlebot.

I tried Twitter but noone follows me so it feels like I'm talking to myself, I can do that at home with the family.

Deleted mine when the site went public and not just for people with .edu emails.

Facebook = stalking
MySpace = craigslist for people
Twitter = talking to yourself or to other people that enjoy doing that same thing

I use Twitter for promoting my political blog and for business. I have generated a little bit of work from it, but mostly use it to keep up with the industry.

I also use Facebook for business, even though its not a perfect opportunity for my B2B business. For B2C businesses, it can be a VERY golden opportunity if used correctly.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you clicked on a "facebook" email from your son and you got malware, it wasn't from facebook. Your son either has a worm and it got sent to you (most likely to everyone else in his address book as well), or he got duped by a phishing scam and gave away his username and password to a botnet. Either way, moral of the story is, look twice before you click on links in your email.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time I like social networking sites is when I'm trying to dig up info on other people. :) It's amazing how much information people volunteer about themselves.

I don't use them myself.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried deleting my Facebook back in 2006. I no longer got invited to parties (since everyone sent invites using Facebook), so I have been grudgingly using Facebook ever since.

It's important to control your online identity but social networking sites serve an important purpose in 20-something social circles. There's no way around it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom