Why haven't you tried some competitive shooting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been to the Heartland Matches a couple of times. Personally I don't like them. For people that suffer from ADD, which I do, I find the matches to be too complicated. Instead of focusing on my shooting skills I found I was more concerned with trying to remember exactly how many times I was supposed to shoot from each position. Just wasn't fun. For someone with better concentration skills I could see where they'd enjoy it.

Sounds like you need to attend the full auto shoot that cold hand Arms does at heartland.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in. You are maybe the 2nd or 3rd cowboy action shooter that I've ever seen post here or on that other forum about SASS competitions. I know I'd love to learn more about it.!

Sorry so long to get back on this, been pretty busy 'twixt work and home this week-end. Anyway, the dress codes are not really that strict, unless you shoot in a costume based category. Basically a pair of jeans, a western styled shirt, cowboy hat and boots are all you need. SASS does not require "exactly period correct" clothes, (SASS is not based on the actual Old West, but based on the Hollywood version of the B Western movies) but most members try for it. My first outfit was a pair of black Lee jeans, I cut off the belt loops, sewed on some suspender buttons, a pair of Justin Ropers, a cotton shirt that my SIL cut the collar off of, and a $2.00 hat from a consignment store. I've since bought some more authentic looking stuff, but have never gone big budget like some do. The other two Western style shooting clubs, NCOWS and WASA are much stricter on dress and guns.

The modern vs old west match you're referring to would have been a joy to watch. It is truly unbelievable what the top CAS shooters can do with single actions and lever actions.
If you don't actually know the outcome of the match I won't spoil it for you by saying who won. Don't scroll way down to the bottom* if you're waiting for the TV show for the outcome.

*It's much easier to transition from old style guns to new style guns than vice versa.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
*It's much easier to transition from old style guns to new style guns than vice versa.

I agree completely especially since Randi Rogers has won National titles using Glocks. The deck was stacked in favor of the cowboy/girls too. All three are national or world champs. Kalani is one of the top ranked 3 gunners but Ian is average at best. Di is a good 3 gunner too but Randi can out shoot her significantly with a modern pistol. Still makes for good TV.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Good to meet you too!

Not sure what "it" was, but I sure crushed something!

Like Mike (olyeller) told me, the entry fee is the best $20 you can spend.

Watching my vids, sure seem to remember going faster than I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bump for competitive shooting.

I shot the practical rifle match at Oil Capital today and it was great, as usual. A little chilly to start, but a great day to be outside shooting.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at the practical rifle match today also. It was my first match and was the most fun I have had shooting in a long time. I plan on trying a lot more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom