Why haven't you tried some competitive shooting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been shooting Cowboy Action for 12 years now. Not nearly as much as I'd like to, but some is better than none. Definitely not a competitor, although I did win a 4-states (OK, AK, LA and TX) championship in category once. Maybe it's because I was the only one in the category, but heck, I've still got the buckle. Two years ago at End of Trail (SASS World Championship) I placed in the top 98%! Sure sounds better than placing in the bottom 2%.

Those indoor shoots, I wonder if they'd let me use my percussion revolvers? I bet I could set a target or two on fire, as close as some of them seemed to be.

Seriously, if H&H or Heartland ever has an IDPA match while I happen to be in the City, I might give it a go. With a 1911, not percussions. I'll be back the week-end of Nov. 9th, I'll check the schedules. There is a gun club in Paris, TX that has a IDPA every first week-end, of each month. I really need to go over there and check it out. That's only 50 miles from Valliant.

And since nobody has mentioned Cowboy Action, I might as well throw in a plug for that. Y'all know the OKCGC has two CAS matches a month doncha? And in CAS it's 4-gun, not a measly little ol' 3-gun. 'Course some folks don't like the dress up requirements of CAS.

Do you have to be a member of the OKCGC to shoot in their matches, regardless of the style match?

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a few competitions i guess. Prolly 1/2 dozen CAS and a Garand match (met a guy there to buy a rifle and got to try it out along with spotting scopes and fancy shooting jackets). I loved the CAS shot at OKCGC and stillwater gun club. Would like to maybe get back into it just gotta pony up and get the guns as i borrowed them and the gun leather (had my own pants). Would like a pair a single actions marlin or rossi lever gun and a '97. Have other guns could get into other comp. just need to figure out what works with my 7 on 7 off work weeks. Was reading that tri-city has service revolver matches. I think that would be fun with my model 10-5. Would also like to find a garand match that would work for me too (gotta get some gear first).

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure do.

I'll bring my 1100, to see if I can get some advice on what I could do to make it usable while I save for a better platform.

I won't be shooting but I would have gave Burk another shotgun for you to use. I am headed down to Dallas to shoot in the walking dead night match. For less than $100 entry fee I get o shoot a cool match and have a 1/125 chance to win a set of $3800 NVG's as well as racks of rifles and other cool gus and gear than sponsors donated to the match.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been shooting Cowboy Action for 12 years now. Not nearly as much as I'd like to, but some is better than none. Definitely not a competitor, although I did win a 4-states (OK, AK, LA and TX) championship in category once. Maybe it's because I was the only one in the category, but heck, I've still got the buckle. Two years ago at End of Trail (SASS World Championship) I placed in the top 98%! Sure sounds better than placing in the bottom 2%.

Those indoor shoots, I wonder if they'd let me use my percussion revolvers? I bet I could set a target or two on fire, as close as some of them seemed to be.

Seriously, if H&H or Heartland ever has an IDPA match while I happen to be in the City, I might give it a go. With a 1911, not percussions. I'll be back the week-end of Nov. 9th, I'll check the schedules. There is a gun club in Paris, TX that has a IDPA every first week-end, of each month. I really need to go over there and check it out. That's only 50 miles from Valliant.

And since nobody has mentioned Cowboy Action, I might as well throw in a plug for that. Y'all know the OKCGC has two CAS matches a month doncha? And in CAS it's 4-gun, not a measly little ol' 3-gun. 'Course some folks don't like the dress up requirements of CAS.

Do you have to be a member of the OKCGC to shoot in their matches, regardless of the style match?

Thanks for chiming in. You are maybe the 2nd or 3rd cowboy action shooter that I've ever seen post here or on that other forum about SASS competitions. I know I'd love to learn more about it.

The H&H match is always the 2nd Sunday unless it's on a holiday.

The Heartland matches are always the 1st & 3rd Sundays and sometimes the 5th Sundays.

What are the dress requirements of SASS?

My Team Stag Arms teammate Kalani Laker had the opportunity to shoot SASS for the first time earlier this year on Michael Banes TV Show shooting gallery. It asnt aired yet but it was a SASS vs 3gun deal. Tulsa Native Dianna Liedorff from Team FNH, Top Shot winner and current Crimson Trace shooter Ian Harrison, and Team Stag Arms Kalani Laker took on Badlands Bud, Randi Rodgers, and one other young stud went head-to-head alternating between SASS and 3 gun scenarios. Kalani told me it was really cool!

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I'll step up and ask the newbie questions. I've never shot, much less been to a match. I'd like to try a Heartland Sunday match but their website doesn't have any details. Besides a firearm, eye, and ear protection, what am I supposed to bring? Do I need a holster? How many mags is sufficient? Can I use my own ammo, or do I have to buy theirs? How many rounds will I shoot?

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought about getting out to one of these someday. I think it'd be a blast. Then I moved towns, got married, and bought a house :( Things have just been really busy for me.

And now I'm in Tulsa, where I don't know many/any other shooters, and I haven't been to a range in two months. I'd enjoy even getting out and shooting paper.

And I have a new rifle courtesy of the wife that I need to zero in...haven't been out to USSA yet. And I have a lower and a LPK that I haven't put together yet (still need to go buy some punches).

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I'll step up and ask the newbie questions. I've never shot, much less been to a match. I'd like to try a Heartland Sunday match but their website doesn't have any details. Besides a firearm, eye, and ear protection, what am I supposed to bring? Do I need a holster? How many mags is sufficient? Can I use my own ammo, or do I have to buy theirs? How many rounds will I shoot?

This video I originally posted is my brother-in-law. He grew up in the burbs near Cleveland. The first time he had ever shot a gun was about 2 hours before this match. I took him out and we burned up a couple hundred rounds and he said why not. As you can see he didn't even try running around or doing anything hasty and he had a blast!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?sns=em&v=bJvmicSjfuw&desktop_uri=/watch?v=bJvmicSjfuw&sns=em

That was my way of saying font be nervous about not being a seasoned shooter.

To answer your questions here goes.

Do I need a holster? How many mags is sufficient? Can I use my own ammo, or do I have to buy theirs? How many rounds will I shoot?

A holster is very helpful and it ads to the fun but we can get you by without one. Just be sure to bring a case we can out your gun in before and after you shoot the course of fire.

You will need to have 18-20 rounds of mag capacity. It is ideal to have 2-3 mags and 35-40 rounds on your person or in your gun.

You can run any ammo as long as its not tracers or armor piercing type stuff that will damage the range.
The match usually requires about 100 rounds so bring double as none of us can get buy without making up a few shots when we miss.

I am 99% sure I'm shooting heartland Sunday night. I'd be happy to walk you through it all to ensure your safe and have a good time. What gun do you have? Someone may have a holster or extra mags you can borrow. If you need a gun jokster abd mags I can bring you one.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought about getting out to one of these someday. I think it'd be a blast. Then I moved towns, got married, and bought a house :( Things have just been really busy for me.

And now I'm in Tulsa, where I don't know many/any other shooters, and I haven't been to a range in two months. I'd enjoy even getting out and shooting paper.

And I have a new rifle courtesy of the wife that I need to zero in...haven't been out to USSA yet. And I have a lower and a LPK that I haven't put together yet (still need to go buy some punches).

I have 3 words for you...Steel Challenge USSA

USSA has a shooting Team that's sole purpose is to help new shooters get into the game or onto the range more. Tell Ryan or Josh when u sign up you want to shoot with the Team guys cause you need help getting started. Boom there you go free access to some of the best shooters and nicest guys in the state.

ryanncass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Joeh Im out at ussa all the time if you want to come out and sight in your rifle let me know I will bring you as my guest. Jesse said it best steel challenge the first Sunday of every month is a great place to start. Send me a pm and I will glad to help you out

Latest posts

Top Bottom