Wife Struggles Pulling the Trigger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok ... You are not gonna like what I have to say but after watching this play out oh ... I dunno, like a bazillion or so times over the years here is what I have learned. Take your wife to the range and let her rent as many different guns as it takes. Then, when SHE finds the one she wants do not argue with her, do not try to talk her into what YOU think is the best gun for her, simply ask the salesman to go get a NIB version of the gun she picked so you can buy it. Oh ... And don't forget to get her several boxes of practice ammo while you are there!! Oh and a good holster.

Have fun at the range! 😘

Eta: My husband taught me to shoot. @Snake Lol 😂😂😂 We did great until I got good enough that I didn't need him to tell me how to gun a stage. But habits were in place by then and I could be seen at any given stage at OKCGC giving him the stink-eye because he would NOT SHUT UP while I was trying to get ready for my turn to shoot. 😒🙄😂 Lol He stepped back and I took lessons from one of the better shooters in our group of buddies for a while after that. (One of the great benefits of working at the gun range. I got to hang out and play around with some really good shooters who didn't mind letting me play along. Haha) Grumpy got razzed a little for that but like any really good husband would he took it in stride.

I saw so many men whose egos were absolutely destroyed by their wife not "falling in line" when it came to taking shooting advice from them as gospel. Not saying you are that way -- just that it is amazing how many men are ...

I've had two WISE instructors tell me not to "train" your wife after a certain point, let someone else do it. If you want to stay married that is.....

Which is exactly what we did lol. I could tell her the same thing 10 times and get an argument and an instructor would tell her the same thing once and she'd be like "Oh that makes sense."

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had two WISE instructors tell me not to "train" your wife after a certain point, let someone else do it. If you want to stay married that is.....

Which is exactly what we did lol. I could tell her the same thing 10 times and get an argument and an instructor would tell her the same thing once and she'd be like "Oh that makes sense."
Makes perfect sense!

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok ... You are not gonna like what I have to say but after watching this play out oh ... I dunno, like a bazillion or so times over the years here is what I have learned. Take your wife to the range and let her rent as many different guns as it takes. Then, when SHE finds the one she wants do not argue with her, do not try to talk her into what YOU think is the best gun for her, simply ask the salesman to go get a NIB version of the gun she picked so you can buy it. Oh ... And don't forget to get her several boxes of practice ammo while you are there!! Oh and a good holster.

Have fun at the range! 😘

Eta: My husband taught me to shoot. @Snake Lol 😂😂😂 We did great until I got good enough that I didn't need him to tell me how to gun a stage. But habits were in place by then and I could be seen at any given stage at OKCGC giving him the stink-eye because he would NOT SHUT UP while I was trying to get ready for my turn to shoot. 😒🙄😂 Lol He stepped back and I took lessons from one of the better shooters in our group of buddies for a while after that. (One of the great benefits of working at the gun range. I got to hang out and play around with some really good shooters who didn't mind letting me play along. Haha) Grumpy got razzed a little for that but like any really good husband would he took it in stride.

I saw so many men whose egos were absolutely destroyed by their wife not "falling in line" when it came to taking shooting advice from them as gospel. Not saying you are that way -- just that it is amazing how many men are ...
this is basically how we did it. then as time goes and as her ability improved she would come home with a new pistol!!! i now have several pistols in the safe that i didn't even have to beg for. she has settled on a small sig 9mm that is a semi auto but fires double action only. the huge problem is holsters!!!!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

This is true of any incident of any kind. You tell your SO something and they don’t believe you. Someone else tells them the same exact thing, and they believe that person. Go figure.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife liked my Springfield XDS 45 so that's what she got. She carries it in her purse and I wouldn't want her shooting at me, let's just put it that way. My son had Ruger LCP he carried while working, she shot it and liked it, she now has a LCPII she carry's on her as well as the XDS in her purse. Now she bought a Kimber micro 9 she carry's sometimes. I agree with @THAT Gurl , learned along time ago let her choose and you both will be happy.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Have fun at the range! 😘

Did that for my youngest December a year ago, though I also had her shooting every handgun I owned at the time, including revolvers. She was going for an armed security position with her employer, who preferred their people use a semi-auto, minimum 9mm, maximum .45acp. I don't own a 9, but she got to shoot my 1911, and my Ruger MkII. She tried the rental M&P Smith, and the H&K VP9. Attached target is her first two magazines from the VP9. Load, fire, reload. 10 yards. She said "I think I like this one best of all." I paid for it, she did the paperwork. Did the CLEET certification class in June, IIRC. She's now a supervisor for her company. And loves her job.

Attachments

• IMG_01131.jpg
    IMG_01131.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 24

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few months back my wife decided that she wanted to start carrying in her purse because of a road rage incident that scared her. I let her try a Ruger LCP, but she struggled with racking the slide. After watching that for awhile, I decided that a revolver would be best for her. I got her a S&W 642, and I thought the problem would be solved. Nope, I watched in disbelief while she struggled pulling the trigger. So now I think that I have two options to consider. The first option is finding a SA/DA revolver. The second option is lowering the pull weight on the 642. There are mixed reviews on the web about reducing the pull weight. Any recommendations from you guys/girls would be appreciated. She likes revolvers over semi-autos so the S&W EZ is not really an option. After we have her something that she can actually use, I’m sure there will be more posts to follow about teaching her to aim/shoot while still staying married.
Get her a tennis ball, or one of the squeeze-grip exercisers that fits her hand, and isn't too strong. Have her spend a bit of time every day squeezing it it a few times in each hand. As it gets easier, squeeze it a few time more, and a few more times a day. Then follow ThatGurl's advise. I'm getting older, though I've been shooting since I was 4, and my grip is getting weaker. My grip exerciser is a small (less than tennis ball size) blue foam rubber brain. So I know where my brain is now, too! ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom