Wilson Combat 1911 parts fitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbickle

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just purchased the Wilson Combat thick flange barrel bushing and "long" guide rod plug. Neither are an easy fit. The barrel bushing will hardly fit around the barrel and will hardly fit within the slide (let alone both together). I own a Kimber Custom II and am afraid to force the parts in. Thinking about taking it to a gunsmith tomorrow. I'm sure they can make it fit, but I'm hoping that it's a clean enough fit that I can continue field stripping it, clean it and reassemble without further fitment issues. Anyone have experience, thoughts or suggestions on the matter?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are purposely made over/under sized for a custom fit. Not drop-in. Take it to someone that knows what they are doing and expect to pay for their knowledge and skill.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, they're designed to be custom fit so you get the best accuracy possible. You can specify to the gunsmith whether you'd prefer an interference fit (requiring a bushing wrench to disassemble) which will yield the most accuracy, or merely snug so you can remove it without a wrench. Unless you plan to do bullseye shooting, I'd recommend just snug.

Mike at 2A Shooting Center should be able to fix you up.

cbickle

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Appreciate the help guys. I also failed to mention that this Kimber is brand new and have only racked the slide about 3 times. I'm actually shooting it around lunch time at 2A. Figured I would get some wear on it before installing the new parts.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Appreciate the help guys. I also failed to mention that this Kimber is brand new and have only racked the slide about 3 times. I'm actually shooting it around lunch time at 2A. Figured I would get some wear on it before installing the new parts.

So, you're trying to fix something that isn't broke. :)

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A new bushing as you have purchased will not normally drop in and be serviceable. Your idea to take the pistol and your new parts to a gun smith is the best idea. Tell the smith your desires of disassembly and he should be able to accomodate you.
Good luck

cbickle

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Oh and just FYI guys. Gunsmith at 2A will be out until/through June.

Yet another fine shooting Kimber. After a couple adjustments, I am happy with how it shoots at about 35 feet.
IMG_0553.jpg

cbickle

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone know a gunsmith in the Tulsa Area who could give me a hand? I love sports world, but they are on around a 3 week turnaround time and I know this will be a quick and simple process.

Last edited:
B

BeaverD

normal 1911 barrel ID is .587 most aftermarket bushing run .577 for tighter gun smith fit. the OD being a Wilson part is more than likely on colt spec at .699 or .700.

The other issue is the barrel bushing needs to be clearanced for swing and ride.

Good luck,

Anthony

Durning Defense Customs
405-229-9856
Tuttle, Oklahoma