Wireless router/modem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wireless stuff doesn't really have a modem, it's a wireless accesspoint kinda like this: http://www.tranzeo.com/products/radios/TR-6000-Series

Wireless is generally 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. The 2.4 and 5 Ghz stuff is literally just like the stuff you use for wifi at home but has a panel antenna that increases the gain or sometimes a grid for long range stuff. I worked for a Wireless ISP for a couple years. The equipment can easily be purchased if you have the money to do it and it is compatible with their network. However they will still need access to the CPE for troubleshooting purposes and they likely have some sort of IP address assignment.

With that said no they will not be accessing your computer but you will want to buy a router if you don't already have one so that multiple devices can use it. When I worked for the WISP we set one IP address for the CPE and another for the customer to use for their computer or router but they only get one. If they try to sell you a router it's probably a cheap piece of junk they can turn a profit on.

@dennishoddy if you need help or have questions let me know and I am more than happy to help you out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wireless stuff doesn't really have a modem, it's a wireless accesspoint kinda like this: http://www.tranzeo.com/products/radios/TR-6000-Series

Wireless is generally 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. The 2.4 and 5 Ghz stuff is literally just like the stuff you use for wifi at home but has a panel antenna that increases the gain or sometimes a grid for long range stuff. I worked for a Wireless ISP for a couple years. The equipment can easily be purchased if you have the money to do it and it is compatible with their network. However they will still need access to the CPE for troubleshooting purposes and they likely have some sort of IP address assignment.

With that said no they will not be accessing your computer but you will want to buy a router if you don't already have one so that multiple devices can use it. When I worked for the WISP we set one IP address for the CPE and another for the customer to use for their computer or router but they only get one. If they try to sell you a router it's probably a cheap piece of junk they can turn a profit on.

@dennishoddy if you need help or have questions let me know and I am more than happy to help you out.
We have a panel on the dish that we have to return as well as the modem that connects to our wifi router.

I don't want to pay their additional $9 per month for what you say is probably a junk modem to hook to my wifi router.
I'd just as soon buy one outright, and be done with it.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dish stuff is not the same. Different frequencies among other things, the box inside that works with the dish is more of a transceiver than a modem.

The Equipment that they install will actually be mounted outside and depending on how far you are from the tower it may just be on the side of the house or could be on some sort of mast on the roof so that it has line of sight with the tower it will connect to. The stuff I worked with had Power Over Ethernet (POE) and the only thing inside the premises was a small power adapter a POE injector and a cat 5 cable. Every WISP is a little different and what I can easily come across may not even work with their stuff since it could be 900MHz. Sadly you will likely be stuck renting on this, it's just the way it works for some places. Where I worked half the cost of the CPE was rolled into the install fee (the other half went to the actual installer for the job) and the customer had to allow it to be removed if they canceled service or return it in good condition.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The dish stuff is not the same. Different frequencies among other things, the box inside that works with the dish is more of a transceiver than a modem.

The Equipment that they install will actually be mounted outside and depending on how far you are from the tower it may just be on the side of the house or could be on some sort of mast on the roof so that it has line of sight with the tower it will connect to. The stuff I worked with had Power Over Ethernet (POE) and the only thing inside the premises was a small power adapter a POE injector and a cat 5 cable. Every WISP is a little different and what I can easily come across may not even work with their stuff since it could be 900MHz. Sadly you will likely be stuck renting on this, it's just the way it works for some places. Where I worked half the cost of the CPE was rolled into the install fee (the other half went to the actual installer for the job) and the customer had to allow it to be removed if they canceled service or return it in good condition.
True. Different tech. When I talked to the tech guy, he hesitated when I mentioned I had my own modem. That led me to think I was getting lied to. I was.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nightshade, thanks for all the information. I think I am beginning to understand a bit more. Probably just enough to be able to ask questions as the next tech changes hit ( probably next month!).

This is another major benefit of OSA. I spite of all the silly name calling on here, when someone has a true question, there are some great folks with great answers! Thanks all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom