Wireless router/modem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Internet, wifi, it's all moved beyond my understanding!

AT&T recently replaced my modem, and are now charging me $9 a month for the opportunity to least their equipment, and that is to continue for eternity.

I need very little. Laptop, printer, iPads, phones, Amazon Fire stick on a tv, all wireless.

Is there a modem/router ( I'm not sure which) that you would recommend?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old DSL modem I can sell you for twenty bucks. After that get whatever router you want. I know it was an AT&T one and I am pretty sure I have a combo one as well as a seperate, just have to look through some stuff.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. Att router sucks. It has got worse in the last month. Got the Uverse thing.
Any suggestions would be appreciated like what to buy, where to buy and how to install?
This information should be provided as if you're trying to explain it to a brick.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AT&T tried that $9 a month sh*t with me and i called and raise billy hell with them, letting them know i didnt sign no contract and they was embezzeling money from their customers and after going up the chain of command i got the $9 a month dropped

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to get off my satellite metered service this month.
Going with an unlimited wireless service that is new to the area. They hit me with the $9 a month gig as well for a modum. They aren't hooked up yet. I'd like to do away with that.
So, I'm all ears.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AT&T sells their wireless modem/router on their website for $100. Here is an alternative: http://www.approvedmodems.com/att-dsl.html

Note: "Customers with AT&T uVerse will still need to purchase a modem directly from AT&T as using your own modem isn't allowed at this point."
Thanks. I looked at it and now if I can get a 9 year old to explain it to me, I'm good to go.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well for DSL you need to learn how to read the signal levels and do what you can to optimize them. Dropping a direct line from the CPE (box on the outside of the house) to the modem is one step, if you want to really make it good use a shielded cat5 cable. Removing extra lines that are not used is another. Only using one filter at the CPE is another way to clean up the signal. https://www.dslreports.com/faq/6734

Pretty much all the DSL stuff is made by no name companies and sold by the telco's. The majority is 2wire on AT&T. ADSL2 is the super fast stuff uverse uses and to be honest what they say and what will actually work is two different things, basically you log into the modem and put your e-mail address username for your DSL account and the password into the required fields and it will connect.

Anyway one of the better modems out there is the Motorolla Netopia 2210 http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/networking/best-dsl-modems/motorola-netopia-2210-review/ and that may even be the one that I have that is single but I really can't remember right now. But for the best internet you generally want to separate the modem and router IMHO.

The Router/Modem combo I have is the 2wire 2701HG-B https://www.speedguide.net/routers/2wire-pace-2701hg-adsl122-wireless-g-router-317

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AT&T sells their wireless modem/router on their website for $100. Here is an alternative: http://www.approvedmodems.com/att-dsl.html

Note: "Customers with AT&T uVerse will still need to purchase a modem directly from AT&T as using your own modem isn't allowed at this point."
I don't know about AT&T, but the new service I'm getting requires the modem. When I asked why, he said it was so their off site log/in tech support could access my computer. I was thinking quietly in my head, seriously? You're telling me this? LOL.
I saw from your link a modem/router combo for $60 bucks.
Think going to hardline the new service and see if I can't get that modem charge removed unless there is some proprietary modem for a particular service that I haven't heard of yet.
Anybody know anything about that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom