wireless router question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for general in home use. what is the average life span one can expect? Am on the second one in 8 years and think i may have to replace it because i have tried everything i can think of and it still does not work.

Any suggestions/insight?

They have both been netgear products.

Thanks

shelshy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Belkin. If its a router only and not a router/modem then 2 in 8 years sounds pretty good. My router/modems usually last about 2 years and then have to be replaced.

Reaction score
If it is making a hissing sound, then one of the capacitors has probably failed. I bought two Netgear routers around the same time, and the one that I never turned off failed after a little over 3 years. I turn the power off on the other one by flipping the switch on a surge protector whenever I don't need it to be running. That one is still working. I found a TrendNet router on Amazon for $15, and it works fine so far. The price has gone up since then. I wouldn't spend more than $35 for a new router.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always good to upgrade in the 3-5 year range regardless of function.
I've used just about every brand available...sold them too.
You're going to find lemons in every bunch. Belkin, Linksys/Cisco, Netgear are all solid performers. Make sure your router has the features you want and proper security and you should be good to go.
Depending on how much you spend...2-4 years per router is about right. Some will last longer...some shorter.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Apple router and love it. It has a usb port to plug your printer into and since my printer isn't wireless I can print to it from my laptops through the router.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Linksys WRT-54GL for ~5 years and currently use a TP-Link. Linksys, Asus, or TP-Link is what I'd recommend for a replacement. I've never really cared for Netgear.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run 2 routers in the house and one in the garage. (Yeah, I stream Spotify over wifi.while mowing.) I have one 10 year old linksys, another 8 year old linksys, and a 5 year old Cisco. All have spent their lives running 24/7 just about... and without surge protectors...

Latest posts

Top Bottom