World War II Bomb Blows Up the Autobahn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on the description of the location, I drove over that place multiple times in my three years there. It's also one of the most traveled segments of the entire autobahn system so how it hasn't blown up previously is a mystery.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on the description of the location, I drove over that place multiple times in my three years there. It's also one of the most traveled segments of the entire autobahn system so how it hasn't blown up previously is a mystery.

Too deep. A lot of ordinance that was dropped had delay fuses on them, so they would get some penetration before exploding. Nothing to set it off with a highway over it.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MORE PICS:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2729870/British-Second-World-War-bomb-weighing-1-000lb-blows-65ft-hole-German-autobahn-experts-carry-controlled-explosion.html
British Second World War bomb weighing 1,000lb blows 65ft hole in German autobahn after experts carry out controlled explosion
•British bomb weighing 1,000lb discovered underneath Autobahn 3 near Frankfurt during construction work
•Experts tried to defuse device with chemicals but when that failed they were forced into using controlled explosion
•Flights were delayed at Frankfurt airport until after explosion as bomb was found in one of its main flight paths
By Chris Pleasance for MailOnline
Published: 08:47 EST, 20 August 2014 | Updated: 11:53 EST, 20 August 2014

Latest posts

Top Bottom