Your Cell Phone Searched During A Routine Traffice Stop, Without A Search Warrant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J-leblanc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont worry.. we use that same cellbrite at us celllular. It never works right. The phone settings have to be just right and the stars alligned perfectly, and if you have a blackberry it will never work. so no worry guys, i say have at it. lol

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont worry.. we use that same cellbrite at us celllular. It never works right. The phone settings have to be just right and the stars alligned perfectly, and if you have a blackberry it will never work. so no worry guys, i say have at it. lol

It works a lot better than the alternatives.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a viable tool for law enforcement.

Anyone have any sources that show the devices are actually being used in "routine traffic stops, without a warrant"?

I routinely agree with you on most things, but I'm not sure I do here. Sure it's a viable LE tool, but I don't think they should be in patrol cars on regular shift duty. Too much risk of inappropriate use. These should only be leaving the station with a warrant in hand IMO. :(

As for the mention of GPS tracking devices, someone puts one on my vehicle, it's going to inconveniently fall off on a bridge over a river most likely. :D

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I routinely agree with you on most things, but I'm not sure I do here. Sure it's a viable LE tool, but I don't think they should be in patrol cars on regular shift duty. Too much risk of inappropriate use. These should only be leaving the station with a warrant in hand IMO. :(

As for the mention of GPS tracking devices, someone puts one on my vehicle, it's going to inconveniently fall off on a bridge over a river most likely. :D

If we are only allowing equipment to leave the station that has a low potential for abuse, would you extend that logic to other devices and not allow the TASER, PR-24, OC spray, digital cameras, MDT's etc. on the street?

Everyone wants a large portion of people want a warrant for these. If they are mobile, in a vehicle how would the Carroll exception not apply? There is absolutely zero reports of misuse in the articles, perhaps I'm not wearing enough tin foil to see it? No one has stated these have been used on "routine" traffic stops. A handful of people have stated they would destroy their phones before handing them over. If you did that, you would most likely create additional criminal charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom