A Public Service Announcement for bicyclists.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. I rode my bicycle on the road today. Put 50 miles in and didn't die or impede much traffic. Got 70 in yesterday and seemed to be a pretty nice guy while I was riding my bicycle on the road then as well. I'm doing my part to be a good cyclist and not piss off any piece of trash redneck that may want to kill me with his truck that has testicles hanging from the hitch. I may/may not have come to a complete stop at stop signs that had no other cars present. Kinda the same thing you automobilers likely do in your automobile. No big deal really.

Also, I won't ride on sidewalks - I assume they were given such a name because they are meant for walking on, but I could be wrong.

I kinda expect to see some of OSA's finest spending time in jail sometime for running over a bunch of cyclists because they are costing them 30 seconds (or some amount of time that is totally absurd and not worth killing or injuring someone over) out of their commute. That would be a really fantastic idea. You guys are a really great set of people. All about rights, except not so much the rights of others to use the road w/ their bicycle. Cool. Stay classy, OSA.. stay classy.

Keep telling yourself that and some day you can ask yourself, If we both had not coasted through that stop, would maybe one or the other of us have seen the other? Maybe then I would not be laying here waiting for them to surgically remove these testicles from my mouth?

Two wheels, four wheels or more, if you do not follow the driving laws and also drive defensively, you have no room to talk about anyone driving. You are just as guilty as they are. Outside of being attacked by a deer, I have not had a ticket or accident in longer then many of you have been alive. I follow the law and an old rule of thumb my father taught me. "Drive defensively, like everyone else is an *******, because a good part of the time you will be right."

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys. I rode my bicycle on the road today. Put 50 miles in and didn't die or impede much traffic. Got 70 in yesterday and seemed to be a pretty nice guy while I was riding my bicycle on the road then as well. I'm doing my part to be a good cyclist and not piss off any piece of trash redneck that may want to kill me with his truck that has testicles hanging from the hitch. I may/may not have come to a complete stop at stop signs that had no other cars present. Kinda the same thing you automobilers likely do in your automobile. No big deal really.

Also, I won't ride on sidewalks - I assume they were given such a name because they are meant for walking on, but I could be wrong.

I kinda expect to see some of OSA's finest spending time in jail sometime for running over a bunch of cyclists because they are costing them 30 seconds (or some amount of time that is totally absurd and not worth killing or injuring someone over) out of their commute. That would be a really fantastic idea. You guys are a really great set of people. All about rights, except not so much the rights of others to use the road w/ their bicycle. Cool. Stay classy, OSA.. stay classy.

I'm not a biker and must say a lot of them give the whole group a bad name. I recently saw a guy turning left, he had the right of way, the 2 bikers go past the yield sign right in front of him. I had one idiot biker turn left, not stopping at the stop sign and he was looking back behind him, hit my car. The road I live on must be one of their favorite routes. One of these days though someone will get killed at that stop sign, too many times people assume that no one is going thru that intersection. The road is a dead end and there are only a few houses, but I've come to that intersection many times when someone was going straight thru. I always stop.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are a really great set of people. All about rights, except not so much the rights of others to use the road w/ their bicycle. Cool. Stay classy, OSA.. stay classy.

Gun owners spend a lot of time on the defensive - our quiet, law-abiding ways are often trashed by anti-gunners because of the actions of a small, but visible minority of idiots. When I see this same group gleefully trashing bicycle riders in the exact same manner, I have to wonder if we're as stupid and rednecked as the anti-gun media says we are. The irony is thick enough to eat.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gun owners spend a lot of time on the defensive - our quiet, law-abiding ways are often trashed by anti-gunners because of the actions of a small, but visible minority of idiots. When I see this same group gleefully trashing bicycle riders in the exact same manner, I have to wonder if we're as stupid and rednecked as the anti-gun media says we are. The irony is thick enough to eat.

But you will also see the law-abiding gun owners trashing the idiot gun owners. The key being law-abiding.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But you will also see the law-abiding gun owners trashing the idiot gun owners. The key being law-abiding.

And as for the polite cyclists out there, please KNOW AND OBEY THE TRAFFIC LAWS because I don't want to see you ending up as a hood ornament on my truck. And if that other rude guy is reading this, you're worth 100 points next time. Here's a link to the rules:
http://www.oklahomabicyclesociety.co...al/OBM_p05.htm

From the OP, seems like this has been ignored. I mean no harm to any law abiding respectful cyclist which also applies to pedestrians, vehicles or animals.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK.. I'll bite...

I'm a long time cyclist that's logged in thousands of miles. like everyone else here have also driven thousands of miles in my truck. Very seldom have I personally seen any cyclist doing anything illegal.... have seen LOTS of cyclist doing STUPID things like riding a heavily traffic road with no shoulders. when one block away there's a perfectly quiet neighborhood street that's SAFE to ride on. that will get you to the same destination.

when I pass that cyclist... I'm thinking... what a dumb-ass!
that cyclist may be stupid for riding in such an unsafe road... but is he doing anything illegal? NO he is perfectly within his rights to ride his bike on that road.

so what are all these cyclist doing that's against the law???

there seems to be a pretty caviler attitude about possibly committing a felony against cyclists. It's a fact that the most dangerous thing about cyclist is the possibility of getting killed by a car.

a former neighbor, a lady in her 70's was an avid bike rider. She kept super fit and looked much younger. noticed her house went up for auction. her husband had been ill for sometime. so I assumed he passed.

then I found out the sad details.... it was the elderly lady that get hit by a car and killed. Her husband had no way to take care of himself, so he sold the house to pay for nursing home care.

From the OP, seems like this has been ignored. I mean no harm to any law abiding respectful cyclist which also applies to pedestrians, vehicles or animals.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so what are all these cyclist doing that's against the law???

From the OP,

I stop at the stop sign where 33rd goes over the highway. Two bicyclists approaching the intersection on my left but they are still around 25 yds. from the stop sign. I start to go, one of the guys starts to slow down and throws up his hands at me like I'm an idiot so I slam on the brakes thinking somethings wrong and he can't stop or something just trying to be safe, and this jerk runs the stop sign, yells at me and flips me the bird.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so what... OP slams on his brakes in the middle of the intersection.
how are the bikers suppose to react?

that's not what I would have done. the point is I drive just at many miles as most and I've NEVER seen a single cyclist doing anything illegal. in no way shape of form am I saying some cyclist are not jerks and idiots.

again .. cyclist riding on main roads is not illegal. they have a right to be there.
it's not what I would do. where we normally ride is standard bike paths, which are streets that are low traffic and safe to ride.

on the flip side.... used to have interactions with RUDE ******* drivers probably at least every other ride. recently it has gotten better.. it's down to every 4th or 5th ride.

instead of yelling back or doing other obnoxious things, Ill smile and wave ... fully cognizant they are driving a 3,000lb+ weapon that I will lose every time. anymore I ride super defensive and not let any car get close to me.

pretty safe to state... there are way more rude ******* drivers than rude ******* cyclist.
both are wrong... you may get a bent mirror... I could lose my life!

From the OP,

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
and this jerk runs the stop sign, yells at me and flips me the bird.

I have seen and almost equal ratio of illegal driving from all and it really does not seem to matter what they are driving. An ******* is an ******* no matter if 2 wheels or 4.

Latest posts

Top Bottom