Beginners GYM/Work Out Plan Advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you trying to bulk up, trim down, or for just general wellness of body? dont worry about looking like a noob. We all have to pay our dues.If someone is paying more attention to you than their own workout, then they are either gay, or go just to say they go.those are the worse kind as they just sit and clog up the machines. www.exrx.net has some good plans for beginners and loads of advice. Has video on proper form, how to eat, how much down time to take, etc. I will reiterate what was stated above. Start with low weight and high reps as to not hurt yourself and that way you can concentrate on form. Don't be afraid to use the mirrors to watch your form, that is what they are there for.

Im trying to find that fine mix of both, i would like to get stronger and get rid of some of this fat so i suppose wellness overall.

LOL @ the other people paying less attention to their own workout.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't make gym time a social event, get in and get out. Cardio, lifting or whatever, do it and leave. You're looking for quality over quantity whatever you do. Most any routine will work, but it only works if you do it and can be consistent and put together workouts from week to week to week. Set a goal, something achievable but maybe not easy, and have a plan to hit your goal.

The type of routine depends on what you want to accomplish, lots of different ways to do things. Typically with lifting, stick with the big compound movements if you can, you get more overall work that way, but also, try to find exercises you enjoy doing, you'll exercise longer (months, years). As most answers have stated, lots of info on the internet.

Maintain good form over lifting more weight, you'll be lifting longer. Don't under estimate your diet and how it impacts your workouts.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5 Sec gym assessment.

Free weights and cages- Check!
Chalk residue on all of the important surfaces- Check!
12" wide benches? (you're 6' tall. Gotta support your scapulas. It'll make sense when you lift heavier)- Check!
No mirrors-Double check!
CrossFit torture toys? Bonus!!

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm only 3 months into my latest routine and I haven't lost any weight, but my stamina and strength have increased (which is what I was looking for). I'm also looking a little better in my clothes. One thing I have to put out there that has held true through my many attempts at getting fit is strength is addressed in the gym, weight in the kitchen. That's something I'll always struggle with.

I workout 5 days after work. I have two basic weight plans that I alternate through which target most major muscle groups, and I infill with cardio. I'm not looking to become a body builder, but I do want to mold my physic, so I wanted to get the biggest bang for the buck and these appear to work the biggest muscle groups. The biggest thing for me, that's been echoed throughout the thread, is focus on form first and increase the weight as you see fit.

I knock these out in about 30min.
Week 1 = Day 1, cardio, Day 2, cardio, Day 1
Week 2 = cardio, Day 2, cardio, Day 1, cardio
Week 3 = Day 2, cardio, Day 1, cardio, Day 2
Week 4 = cardio, Day 1, cardio, Day 2, cardio
wash, rinse, repeat

Day 1 -
3 sets squats / 10 reps / 2 min rest between sets
3 sets bench press / 10 reps / 2 min rest between sets
3 sets row down / 10 reps / 2 min rest between sets
1 set tricep extension / 12 reps
1 min rest
2 sets of calf raises / 1 min rest between each set (I do 12 reps)

Weight day 2 -
3 sets deadlift / 10 reps / 2 min rest between sets
3 sets overhead press / 10 reps / 2 min rest between sets
3 sets lat pull down / 10 reps / 2 min rest between sets
1 set curl / 12 reps
1 min rest
2 sets of situps / 1 min rest between each set

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd recommend a protein supplement of some kind to go with the above recommendations, Just protein powder and water, quick and easy, whenever you need it.

Waltherfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drink plenty of water. Like the Camelback ad says, "Hydrate or Die". That includes drinking water after you work out to.
I'd stay away from the weight machines, they isolate muscles too much. Free weights are better as they work more muscles.
Dumbbells are better than barbells. One arm can't compensate for the other.
Better yet are no weights. Pushups and planks are great. Jumping jacks are also very good. Don't do more of anything than you can do with proper form. Once you get tired and start losing proper form you're setting yourself up for injury.
Personal Trainers at the gym are good for guidance. My experience with them wasn't all good. They feel they need to push you and after my first workout with a PT I was so sore I didn't go back for three weeks.
Go easy and go long.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kids are gym rats, and the best advice I have received from them is lots of cardio ( I know not what u wanted to hear) and more reps and less weight while I concentrate on form. Worked for me. Lost one pant size in 8 weeks going 3X a week and cardio 6X a week. Went from large shirt to medium.

RR

If he were trying to lose weight then he should do strength exercises because they burn more energy than equivalent levels of cardio.

OP just be sure to not be one of the guys doing biceps curls and they are swinging their entire body just to lift the weight. Focus on maintaining proper form and technique on 10-12 rep sets. And if you need help dont be afraid to ask.

Latest posts

Top Bottom