I just can't quit touching it......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
it's my new Ruger GP100 of course! I got it yesterday and I just cant leave it alone. It is my first revolver, other that my grandad's hi-standard 22lr, and I can't wait to shoot it. It will probably be my new bedside gun...as soon as I get some ammo!

I have done a light cleaning on it but still need to strip it down and get it good, but does anyone have advice on getting the cylinders clean...there seems to be some build up in there. Do I use the barrel brush in the cylinder?

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on your new GP. To clean the cylinders its helps to use a larger than bore brush if there is a lot of build-up. A 40 cal brush will work.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so what's the "proper" way to lower the hammer on a loaded revolver????
Pull back on hammer, hold it very carefully and solidly, pull trigger and ease hammer down. Do it very carefully.

And to clean your chambers use a 40 or 41 cal BRONZE bore brush. I had one of those GP100s that was so nasty I had to put the brush in a drill! It appeared that the gun had never been cleaned. But it cleaned up nice after a lot of work.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the .375 rifle brushes, or one of the Brownell's beefy bore brushes for the cylinder. Lead buildup is particularly difficult to remove. The Birchwood Casy lead remover cloths are great for getting rid of the lead buildup in the chambers (cut into patches) and the cylinder face. Just remember to use rubber gloves when handling.

Those GP's are great, aren't they? :)

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the .375 rifle brushes, or one of the Brownell's beefy bore brushes for the cylinder. Lead buildup is particularly difficult to remove. The Birchwood Casy lead remover cloths are great for getting rid of the lead buildup in the chambers (cut into patches) and the cylinder face. Just remember to use rubber gloves when handling.

Those GP's are great, aren't they? :)

Uh oh, whats in those birchwood casey cloths? I forget to use gloves when wearing those every now and then. They work so well!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uh oh, whats in those birchwood casey cloths? I forget to use gloves when wearing those every now and then. They work so well!

Well, they dissolve lead, so I'd assume that it can pass through your epidermis.

Trust me, you don't want to know what one of the first signs of lead poisioning is. :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom