My insurance got cancelled.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will make another attempt to help...if you do have to go without insurance, I can vouch that some of those pharmacy discount cards (that seem like a scam) actually do give a better discount than insurance in many cases...so at least you could still get a discount on meds if you have one. I have no stake in them but decided to have the drug store compare costs between insurance and discount cards for the few prescription drugs my family has used over the last 3-4yrs and surprise, many times it was cheaper than insurance.

Apparently these cards have become so popular, that many of the drug stores have them on file and if you ask they can run your meds under one of them; no need to sign up for anything or give your name to anyone. I hope this is helpful.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, many times just the cash price is cheaper than running it through insurance. Sometimes they sell it for less than the insurance copay, but still collect that full copay when you have them run it under the plan. I always ask and make them disclose the cheapest rate.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, many times just the cash price is cheaper than running it through insurance. Sometimes they sell it for less than the insurance copay, but still collect that full copay when you have them run it under the plan. I always ask and make them disclose the cheapest rate.

This is more common with small local pharmacies than chains. Quite often the lower cash price is all the pharmacy will see from insurance, anyway. There's a lot of BS in that "benefits covered" column on your claim statement.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will make another attempt to help...if you do have to go without insurance, I can vouch that some of those pharmacy discount cards (that seem like a scam) actually do give a better discount than insurance in many cases...so at least you could still get a discount on meds if you have one. I have no stake in them but decided to have the drug store compare costs between insurance and discount cards for the few prescription drugs my family has used over the last 3-4yrs and surprise, many times it was cheaper than insurance.

Apparently these cards have become so popular, that many of the drug stores have them on file and if you ask they can run your meds under one of them; no need to sign up for anything or give your name to anyone. I hope this is helpful.

Keep in mind that using some of these cards may entitle these companies to disclose information about you to third-party partner marketers. Thus... you use a card to get a discount on your metformin or glyburide and then you start getting deluged with junk mail at your home address from companies all trying to sell you diabetic testing supplies and various other crap.

Good way to save some bucks, perhaps... but also be aware that these companies do not exist solely for your benefit. They make money by selling your information to other people.

Forewarned.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a tool to help you find out how bad the new health care reform is going to F____ you and your family.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

People need to understand that this only shows one variable of the equation. You may or may not even qualify for a subsidy, of which you don't have to choose the plan they set the default to or... you can even buy an off exchange plan.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of those free prescription plan card, it helps with a few bucks. metformin is one of the cheapest meds out there, I get 90 days for less than $30. Believe me, I want to have insurance, especially in my line of work, I work with heavy machinery in my shop, I weld, I grind, etc. I may be a writer, but I write about working on cars, so it isn't all fluffy pillows and bon bons for me.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of those free prescription plan card, it helps with a few bucks. metformin is one of the cheapest meds out there, I get 90 days for less than $30. Believe me, I want to have insurance, especially in my line of work, I work with heavy machinery in my shop, I weld, I grind, etc. I may be a writer, but I write about working on cars, so it isn't all fluffy pillows and bon bons for me.

Yeah I just happened to mention metformin as an example. It's on the $4/mo $10/90d list at WalMart. Matter of fact, if most people knew it, the $4 list and other cheap monthly med plans out there can do wonders for a LOT of people. There are many many meds for diabetes and hypertension on there. But a lot of docs prescribe the newest, best latest, greatest meds, combo meds, etc, when people who were willing to take a few extra pills might be able to save tons of money on their monthly costs...

Ask your doctor. If you have a few meds that are killing your budget, ask the doc if there are non-combo meds or generics that would essentially work as well, but might be twice a day instead of once a day, or whatever.

And as mentioned above, exercise will do wonders for most blood pressure problems, as well as blood sugar. Simple vigorous walking for 30 minutes once or twice a day can cut your blood pressure medication need significantly as well as help get blood sugar under control. Simply losing 10% of body weight in addition will make a significant impact. It can happen. Herbal supplements and home remedies and all that stuff is debatable, but this is proven fact that works for the majority of patients.

There is no quick fix. There is no easy solution. There is no "one pill". But it's doable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom