Smoked Ribs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now this thread has me looking at my smoker and my calendar. Just need some apple juice, some Apple cider vinegar, and ribs. I have a large Mason jar I the freezer if my rub ready to go.

Ah next weekend is open. Oh and whoever said it previously. Ribs done right don't need sauce. Brisket as well.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually only cook baby backs.

Remove membrane
Coat in mustard
Rub with head country rub blended with my own spice choices.
Add some brown sugar on top of rub.
Smoke for 3-4 hours or so with hickory/apple/pecan 50/25/25
Wrap in foil with honey, more brown sugar, and orange juice or apple juice or both.
Cook at 225 for 1-2 hours to tender to your liking.
Unwrap and cook at 225 for 1-2 hours basting in sauce of choice until they look too good to eat.

I prefer ribs with no sauce but I really like making them sweet and sticky for others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remove membrane

I forgot to mention this as well. I know everyone has their methods, but I turn a spoon upside down, and in the middle of the rack I'll stick it in between the membrane and the ribs and use a paper towel under my thumb to pinch the membrane against the back of the spoon. Sometimes it rips, but most of the time it removes easily.

As for the anti-sauced crowd. I don't like mine dripping with sauce, and I don't sauce them on my plate. I only apply a thin slathering of thick bbq sauce, as opposed to vinegar-based, just so the ribs have a little sticky coating on top of a beautiful bark. Adds a bit of visual glaze, as well.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang....I am drooling on my keyboard!!! Too bad its like -300* outside today.

What kind of smoker does everyone have? I have a great smokey mountain propane. It does pretty good...just have to reload with wood chips every hour or so. Would love to get a Bradley and be able to start it and forget about it.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll let you guys know tonight or in the morning.......I just started 2 racks of ribs in my new (Christmas present) cancooker jr. Found the recipe online at cancooker.com for the ribs I'm cooking.

Really hoping this works because I LOVE ribs, but I haven't been able to perfect them on my grill. If this doesn't work...I'm gonna invest in a hasty bake and learn how to make "Burnco" style ribs. They are my favorite I've eaten so far!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention this as well. I know everyone has their methods, but I turn a spoon upside down, and in the middle of the rack I'll stick it in between the membrane and the ribs and use a paper towel under my thumb to pinch the membrane against the back of the spoon. Sometimes it rips, but most of the time it removes easily.

As for the anti-sauced crowd. I don't like mine dripping with sauce, and I don't sauce them on my plate. I only apply a thin slathering of thick bbq sauce, as opposed to vinegar-based, just so the ribs have a little sticky coating on top of a beautiful bark. Adds a bit of visual glaze, as well.

That's why I baste regularly with sauce. It glazes as it cooks and makes a nice sticky sweet varnish. Not dripping wot BBQ sauce.

Latest posts

Top Bottom