Smoked Ribs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have 3 racks o ribs in the smoker as we speak, having a second Christmas later today with some family. Was wondering how y'all do your ribs. I don't trim mine (spare ribs) at all, other than to remove the membrane and any extra fat. I have seen people trim them into a neat little rack, and have wondered what the big benefit is. I smoke mine for 2-3 hours with just a dry rub on them, and then put a mustard/BBQ sauce mix on them, and let them go another hour or two. Long enough to almost caramelize the sauce, or at least make it like a paste on the ribs. They don't need sauce when done, but I like sauce so I use a bit anyway.

Sent from my T.A.R.D.I.S. using a Sonic Screwdriver.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For beef ribs I slow cook the ribs in a special mixture in the slow cooker for 4 hours. I then baste them in BBQ sauce and grill them until the BBQ is properly charred. Delicious. Now I am hungry.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually just trim the fat, pull the membrane and dry rub liberally. 2 hours on the smoker, 1 hour foil wrapped then unwrap and tighten them up. Usually about 30 to 45 minutes. I keep the temps around 225-235. No sauces here. I don't like the "bark" it creates when cooking. As a side note, I like to keep a pan of water/beer/sliced fruit under the ribs while cooking. I don't know if it actually makes a difference, but it's done well for me. I also only use fruit woods for the first 2 hours of smoking. IMO, the smoke taste is lighter and not as harsh.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't smoked ribs in years. nobody around my casa likes em. Or brisket for that matter. bunch of friends usually end up around a table of "fashionable" foods. like cured pork and gnarly cheese, spinach based health crap, I can't stand any of it.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pork ribs

Smoke for an hour or two..... cool.... wrap in foil and bake at the lowest temp for 4-6 hours.... cool ( won't stay together if you handle them hot) ...... put on grill as hot as it will go and pour on 50/50 mix of homey and head country BBQ sauce until it is like a jelly and the edges are a little crispy.

Beef ribs.... I only do Boneless

Boil in head country BBQ sauce until a fork won't stick in them. Then the same treatment on the grill as the pork ones

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do the 3-2-1 method. Remove the membrane, coat in mustard, then add dry rub. I smoke the ribs 3 hours at 220*. Next, the ribs go in foil with apple juice and go back in the smoker and the temp goes up to 275* or so for 2 hours. For the last hour, the ribs go back on the smoker and are basted in sauce every 20 min or so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom