Tranny took a dump, what could it be???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4X4 tranny is a different beast. Depends on the type if it has a drive chain inside or not. I have seen a few bust the chain and all the go gears just stop. But I am not sure what you are dealing with, much easier to say with hands on.

NV247 x-fer case, I know my other one w/ the 249 has chain but not sure about this one; I was also thinking maybe it could the the x-fer case though since it is full-time 4wd.

Brakes are cheap. Way cheaper! Pay the $100 bucks every couple of years or do it yourself for less. I wouldn't be fooling with the button were it me, but I just drive and try to not to fiddle with stuff.

Bummer on what sounds like a cool car. Best o' luck to ya on repairations :)-

I do my own brakes; I just let off the gas or sometime use the OD-off button to lose speed "tactfully". Benn doing it a long time and never a problem; this is either my fault OR something malfunctioned. Thx for the good wishes.

Did you check the fluid level, is it perhaps higher than normal? If its higher than normal then possibly the fluid is not being pumped or circulated and my guess is the filter inside the pan may have popped off the pump intake. There is a bolt that holds the filter up but its toward the rear of the filter, its been known that these filters can fall off the front/pump and cause your issue. Any strange noise or noises, do you feel anything at all when you shift, detents, bumps or slight RPM changes when hitting the gas in gear? If t-case problem, maybe knocked in neutral, usually you can still feel a slight gear engagement and possible shifts when revving in gear. Do you have the means to retrieve TCM diag codes or data, or at least see if the PCM has P0700?

A very good post that I will refer back to and report back wen I can; I can get the codes but no CE light; would the TCM store codes anyway? Tranny had newer fluid & filters supposedly when I bought the Jeep, fluid was new & clean on the dip stick and the previous owner even gave me some Mopar x-fer case fluid as well that he had left over from changing that fluid. Tranny has shifted like a dream for a year so i do not expect there was any previous issue.

Heat is the biggest killer of transmissions, also the cooling lines that run in the radiator could have a pinhole leak letting engine coolant into the trans fluid. Look at the fluid on the dipstick, it should be a translucent crimson red color with a sweet smell. If it is milky its probably coolant, if its brown/black with a burnt smell probably bands let loose. If you do find out it is the radiator it will need to be changed as well because you'll just loose the new trans to the same problem when you have it installed.

nahh, fluid was good, I put on a cooler in sequence with the factory internal cooler on all my vehicles if necessary. I do not suspect heat but I know exactly what you mean because I have lost a tranny to heat a long time ago that had no aux cooler.

I read the thread title and thought maybe he was getting his freak on!!!!!

only for Sheen & Jenner (and people in California)

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I expected a Charlie Sheen and Bruce Jenner joke. Disappointing.

Oh, don't down shift an auto in non-emergency situations, that will kill a transmission, if you want to shift gears, get a manual transmission.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I down shift my ****** Tacoma automatic daily. 220K miles on it. Still works just like it did the day I bought it. Shittily. I already got my money's worth.

Fawker can't pick the right gear or stay in one anytime hills or curves or headwinds are involved. Even worse since I run oversized tires without a regear. At least it's durable. They rarely fail in 2 gen Tacomas. I also tow over capacity and wheel it harder than it should be wheeled. Fawk it. Beat, put away wet.

Manually shifting an automatic may increase wear, but it's negligible if you're not doing it like a fawktard. Jamming it into first from 20 mph, etc. Or 2nd at 70mph. There's all kinds of reasons where manually shifting an auto is prudent. Slick roads being one. Stupid transmission being another.

Latest posts

Top Bottom