Tranny took a dump, what could it be???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even worse since I run oversized tears
This should help with that:
00381370037248_cf_.png

:D

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fawking spellcheck and sleepiness. I woke up at 3:50 a.m. to hunt this morning. To see a forked horn. Ugh.

I manually shifted my automatic all the way there and back.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I down shift my ****** Tacoma automatic daily. 220K miles on it. Still works just like it did the day I bought it. Shittily. I already got my money's worth.

Fawker can't pick the right gear or stay in one anytime hills or curves or headwinds are involved. Even worse since I run oversized tires without a regear. At least it's durable. They rarely fail in 2 gen Tacomas. I also tow over capacity and wheel it harder than it should be wheeled. Fawk it. Beat, put away wet.

Manually shifting an automatic may increase wear, but it's negligible if you're not doing it like a fawktard. Jamming it into first from 20 mph, etc. Or 2nd at 70mph. There's all kinds of reasons where manually shifting an auto is prudent. Slick roads being one. Stupid transmission being another.

I was going to say a lot of similar things, but I couldn't word it without sounding snarky so I gave up. I've manual shifted the bajeesus out of countless automatic cars. Our new car will do it on its own if it senses you are going down a hill. Took me a bit to notice it, but sure enough, start down a hill and you can just barely apply brakes and it'll downshift. I've only hurt one auto transmission from purely from beating on it, and it happened because the tires grabbed between first and second. BANG! Actually only killed the converter, though. A904's and 727's do NOT like being shocked in first.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I expected a Charlie Sheen and Bruce Jenner joke. Disappointing.

Oh, don't down shift an auto in non-emergency situations, that will kill a transmission, if you want to shift gears, get a manual transmission.

My vehicles are designed to down shift. Its how they are designed to control speeds in mountainous terrain. Perfectly acceptable and recommended by the manufacturer to do so.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had an older jeep with manual trans, it snapped the shaft that ran the transfer case. It took a lot of looking to see it was broken, that shaft looked like it was machined in the way it broken so clean. The end result was a jeep that would not move until we replaced that silly thing. On those older jeeps both auto and manual were the same they just powered the transfer case. I would guess the only way to know for sure is to remove it and take a look then decide.

Latest posts

Top Bottom