Tranny took a dump, what could it be???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
545RFE I think...I often use the OD-off button to lose some speed on the HWY to avoid braking in traffic. I have done this for years on multiple vehicles never an issue. Today either it malfunctioned and dropped down too low a gear, OR my muscle memory from long ago kicked in and I actually downshifted to 2nd at 70/75mph...the thud was so hard it startled what actually happened right outta me but it is safe to say it was my fault. I am exploring my options as I have something else to drive for now and am wondering if anyone can tell me specifically based on my description what it might be (a part inside that can be fixed or tranny is toast). There was no slippage or anything before this happened so I believe the clutches/bands to be fine; this thing just got broke. as with all trannies I ever had go out, every gear is neutral now except this was immediate after the clunk and not gradual/ slipping like one that is truly just worn out.

Any guidance is appreciated; in addition to my question, the things I am considering are:

- making this a parts vehicle as I own others just like it and will for some time
- getting a lower mileage junk yard tranny in hopes it is good and then it leaves the door open to sell it with less lossed money
- getting a Mopar re-man (if available) and committing to keeping this thing around due to the cost of the new tranny

At this time, I'm not interested in a shop rebuild; nothing but trouble every time I or anyone I know has ever done that.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest pulling the tranny dipstick and seeing what the fluid looks like.

My guess is that if you did downshift something went out and it's not going to be a simple change one part fix. My guess is that if you drop the pan you will see a good amount of metal in the filter and on the magnet. you could get lucky and have it be a shift solenoid but I kinda doubt it. Especially if it will not move on it's own power.

The good news is that they used that transmission for quite a while and on a lot of vehicles. Looked on ebay and there was a used one for 600 so if you do a little searching can probably get one for a decent price. Rebuild kits are around 300 if you have the time and knowhow and remans are around 2k. Probably find a shop that can do the rebuild for around 1000 or so.

As far as a Mopar Reman I would guess on it being a lot more than 2k so there it depends on how much you want to spend.

Don't know the value of the vehicle so can't advise what to do. If the vehicle is worth less than a reman tranny or not much more and you can't do the work I would say it's time to part it out.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully it's something simple and not a total grenade inside. Is reverse gone too? I would have thought one of your U-Joints would break before doing real damage.

Whatever you do DON NOT TAKE IT TO AAMCO!!! Bastards told my ex she needed a complete rebuild on her Intrepid when it was a $1 clip that holds the CV joint in place! Melton's in Claremore fixed it for 1 hours work and the part.

Good luck.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would suggest pulling the tranny dipstick and seeing what the fluid looks like.

My guess is that if you did downshift something went out and it's not going to be a simple change one part fix. My guess is that if you drop the pan you will see a good amount of metal in the filter and on the magnet. you could get lucky and have it be a shift solenoid but I kinda doubt it. Especially if it will not move on it's own power.

The good news is that they used that transmission for quite a while and on a lot of vehicles. Looked on ebay and there was a used one for 600 so if you do a little searching can probably get one for a decent price. Rebuild kits are around 300 if you have the time and knowhow and remans are around 2k. Probably find a shop that can do the rebuild for around 1000 or so.

As far as a Mopar Reman I would guess on it being a lot more than 2k so there it depends on how much you want to spend.

Don't know the value of the vehicle so can't advise what to do. If the vehicle is worth less than a reman tranny or not much more and you can't do the work I would say it's time to part it out.

thanks for the response, vehicle worth to the right buyer maybe (guessing) 6k depending on a few things; maybe less if i was in a hurry to sell to any old buyer. It's a rare trim pkg H.O. v8 motor 4wd Jeep GC w/ 3" lift. Great hunter/camper/boat tower vehicle but also rides nice enough and modern enough to drive daily. Problem (if this really is a problem) is that I have collected these things and do not want to let go because such good vehicles. I have my wife in another non-lifted v8 one and have another HO v8 fully loaded w/ low miles cherry sitting in garage that was going to be a "restore & mod" project (not to mention another older project one that is my "real" off-road rig). So now I need to make some decisions.

- daily drive the garage cherry that was going to be a project but instead let it get high miles and beat to crap in daily traffic (broke one becomes parts doner vehicle)
- take over driving the stock one and get the wife something newer (broke one becomes parts doner vehicle) and then back on track for the cherry
- temporarily drive something (cherry and/or my older rig) and fix the broke tranny as soon as possible to get me back on the road and then back on track for the cherry
- something else but too many possibilities to think up tonight (things such as steal tranny fron non-HO if wife gets something else, or stick HO motor in that one and scrap the bad tranny Jeep, etc., etc.)

Man this was bad timing but I guess I am fortunate to be an unfinished project vehicle collector LOL and have at least somethin' to drive when stuff like this happens unexpectedly.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully it's something simple and not a total grenade inside. Is reverse gone too? I would have thought one of your U-Joints would break before doing real damage.

Whatever you do DON NOT TAKE IT TO AAMCO!!! Bastards told my ex she needed a complete rebuild on her Intrepid when it was a $1 clip that holds the CV joint in place! Melton's in Claremore fixed it for 1 hours work and the part.

Good luck.

thx, I have also heard bad things about them; yes reverse is gone too - come to think of it, this "could" be the transfer case; this is a full-time 4wd but somehow due to the nature of how it happened I suspect the tranny.

Aren't brakes cheaper than transmissions?

Yeah but I have done this with no issues on 3-4 cars over years and never an issue; the OD-off button can be used on HWY when towing or for hills anyway so it is an acceptable thing to do mechanically. But either something malfunctioned or I inadvertently downshifted; wish I knew for sure, it happened right when I hit the button and I may have done both at the same time!

using this method keeps from having to slam on brakes...I also let off gas and coast in traffic too before I tap brakes on HWY...nothing sux more than people tapping or hitting their brakes at HWY speeds or you see some guy about to rear end you.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brakes are cheap. Way cheaper! Pay the $100 bucks every couple of years or do it yourself for less. I wouldn't be fooling with the button were it me, but I just drive and try to not to fiddle with stuff.

Bummer on what sounds like a cool car. Best o' luck to ya on repairations :)-

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4X4 tranny is a different beast. Depends on the type if it has a drive chain inside or not. I have seen a few bust the chain and all the go gears just stop. But I am not sure what you are dealing with, much easier to say with hands on.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you check the fluid level, is it perhaps higher than normal? If its higher than normal then possibly the fluid is not being pumped or circulated and my guess is the filter inside the pan may have popped off the pump intake. There is a bolt that holds the filter up but its toward the rear of the filter, its been known that these filters can fall off the front/pump and cause your issue. Any strange noise or noises, do you feel anything at all when you shift, detents, bumps or slight RPM changes when hitting the gas in gear? If t-case problem, maybe knocked in neutral, usually you can still feel a slight gear engagement and possible shifts when revving in gear. Do you have the means to retrieve TCM diag codes or data, or at least see if the PCM has P0700?

berserk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heat is the biggest killer of transmissions, also the cooling lines that run in the radiator could have a pinhole leak letting engine coolant into the trans fluid. Look at the fluid on the dipstick, it should be a translucent crimson red color with a sweet smell. If it is milky its probably coolant, if its brown/black with a burnt smell probably bands let loose. If you do find out it is the radiator it will need to be changed as well because you'll just loose the new trans to the same problem when you have it installed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom