Where do atheists get their morality?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It starts with a conscience. Once you have that, you at least have consideration for others and what harm your actions might cause them - and likely to yourself. If you don't follow a faith such as the Bible, or the Torah, or Hinduism, or Buddha, or the Quran(without sharia law), there is the law. With a conscience, you are most likely to follow something. Without a conscience, nothing matters except yourself and all else be damned.

Woody

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they actually get it is from the divine spark put in them by the Creator whether they acknowledge it or not.
What they credit for it varies from person to person - in days gone by many an atheist admitted openly that they basically adopted Christian morality but without any belief in a deity. Nowadays, since pride is one of the overweening sins/characteristics of us as a people, it varies widely but many arrogantly attribute their system of beliefs to themselves - as if they just invented all of their core beliefs. There are very few people whose belief system is their own creation - most still have some kind of a watered down Judeo-Christian base of beliefs.

DrinkYourMilkshake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't seem that difficult to figure out "don't harm others," or "don't do to others what I wouldn't want done to me."
Obviously it requires some spark. Otherwise we'd all be selfish killers rapists and good for nothings.

I wonder if birds that mate for life have little birdie bibles and go to little birdie church on Sunday to learn about monogamy or caring for their young or chasing predators away from the group. Do they have little birdie suits and little birdie Sunday dresses? Do they all go to little birdie Lupes Cafe afterwards?

Latest posts

Top Bottom