Shooting in my neighborhood last night - Will be on all the news channels tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There were two dogs supposedly shot last night. They were shot by the owners of some horses the dogs were attacking. What is not in question is the fact they were in the horse pasture, 1 dog is now dead, and there are photos of fresh wounds on a couple of the horses. The dog owner says they were the sweetest dogs and wouldn't hurt anyone or anything. Basically, these were the Mike Brown's of the K9 world. They were shot just after 7 PM while I was at soccer practice with my son. It blew up on a the Choctaw garage sale group on Facebook around 10 PM. The dog owners threatened to contact the news stations. Turns out, they did.... all of them. They all came out today; KFOR, KOCO, KWTV, KOKH.

I got home yesterday at 4:00. I let my dog out. It is typical for him to run to the fence and bark at the neighbors' two dogs. They bark back. This typically lasts about a minute. 15 minutes later, all three are still barking at the front of the backyard fence. I went outside in the front yard, around the back of my car parked in the driveway and there are two dogs clawing at the fence trying to get at the 3 dogs in the 2 backyards. One is a shepherd mix around 70lbs (now dead). The other is a Pitt mix (the Muslim of the K9 world - breed of peace) around 40-50lbs.

Now my neighborhood is 1 main road with 4 dead ends off of it. It's one way in and out. It has a lot of strays and escapee dogs that randomly roam the neighborhood. One neighbor has an outside only dog and literally doesn't even own a fence. Nice guy and nice dog though. But it's not unusual to see random dogs down my dead end. What is highly unusual is to see them next to my fence. I have a large Doberman which is easily the most dominant and aggressive dog in the neighborhood. He's wanting to chew a hole through both of these dogs and they are clawing at his fence.

So I clap my hands and yell "get". Both dogs now turn and get aggressive at me. I'm 6'7" and am not used to dogs challenging me when they are the ones out of place. The pitt is growling, barking and charging a few steps at me and then backing off quickly. Every time I stomp my foot on the concrete, clap and yell at them, the shepherd jumps back, but the pitt charges a few steps then backs off.

The shepherd starts to circle around to my left towards the street to get behind me. The pitt is creeping in on me. I start backing up and yelling at the shepherd not wanting to let it behind me. I don't get the feeling the pitt is bluffing, more like sizing me up. They are both maybe 10-15' away moving towards and away constantly. I've never shot a dog, but I the realization sets in that I'm about to.... at 4:15 in the afternoon in my own front yard.

After a standoff that seems to last a couple of minutes, the dogs both start to circle and as I turn, they take off running into my neighbor without the fence backyard and into the woods that border his house. I go across the street to my other neighbor who I saw in his backyard (old guy, almost deaf, didn't have a clue what was going on) and ask if he knew the dogs belonged to. About 5-10 minutes later the two dogs come hauling ass out of the woods obviously spooked and go back down my street to the main road. I never saw them again. They were shot about 3 hours later in a horse pasture that backs up to the neighborhood.

I spoke with another lady down the main road today that asked about the news crews. When I mentioned it was about shooting a dog, she said the two dogs had tried to attack her dogs through the fence last night and scared her enough to go inside. And she was behind the fence.

So this was all in Choctaw right by Nicoma Park schools. The shooting was on a big chunk of land with lots of land behind it, safe direction, down hill, no structures in the direction. That wasn't an issue. My issue here is the shooter was ticketed. So what's up with that? I thought you could shoot to protect livestock?

IMO, it was a good shoot. I don't know any of the people involved, but I know the dogs had been aggressive to me and my dog just hours earlier.

And another thing, the dog's owners are renters. They aren't putting up a fence. That's BS. The horse pasture they were in was 3 properties to the east each being 5-10 acres.

Here are some of the stories:
http://www.okcfox.com/story/30200899/neighbor-defends-actions-to-shoot-kill-dog-in-choctaw
http://kfor.com/2015/10/06/i-just-h...s-dog-owner-says-neighbor-allegedly-shot-pet/
http://www.koco.com/news/my-dogs-coming-home-to-us-in-a-box/35691058

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dog owner also says the pitt was wounded. I spoke with the Choctaw PD officer investigating and he said he saw no signs the other was hit. The officer also said the pitt was aggressive towards him when he went to the house to investigate. The owner had to hold the dog back.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you didn't get hurt but it sounds like they need to be put down. What if it had been a child that went through what you did?
Exactly. My 8 year old plays in the front yard all the time same as the little neighbor girl the same age. They rides their bikes in the street. It's one of the better things about living in a neighborhood full of dead ends. There is no through traffic. There are only 5 houses on my entire street.

Had it been my wife or son, I actually think it would have attacked. It seemed like it was working up the confidence to go after me and was maybe waiting for it's partner to get a better position on me. Because I have owned and currently own large, aggressive breed dogs, I've always been fairly confident around large aggressive dogs. I've always thought I would be the last person to shoot any dog. Yesterday, I was close. Not because I wanted to, but I'm sure not going to get chewed up in my own driveway.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw a cop car near there again tonight on the way home from football practice. Still investigating?

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like bs that the shooter was cited, but I don't know everything about this.

Hopefully it all gets sorted out and the remaining dog doesn't cause any more issues.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would make a statement to the cops. The shooter will be thankful, and you should be thankful to the shooter.
Those dogs sound like menaces running free through the neighborhood. That is not OK.

reade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was attacked by one of those "big baby dogs that might lick you to death" once. The owner on a prior visit had me let the dog smell me and told me to just call him by his name and everything would be ok. The dog weighed about 70-80 lbs, pit/roth mix. I walked up to his front porch and the dog looked at me and I said his name and that SOB shot off the porch and was going for my neck. I had on a thick jacket and he hit my arm (up in front of my throat), felt like I had been hit with a sledge and made me bleed through the coat. I was waiting for the guy to come out with a .22 and shoot it. No, all he said was "bad dog". About a week later a semi ran over him. I told the guy the only regret I had was I wasn't there to see it.

I encourage you to tell your story to the cops. Dogs like that allowed to run wild are a disaster waiting to happen.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw a cop car near there again tonight on the way home from football practice. Still investigating?
Yes, I drove by and saw him so I stopped. The shooter had messaged me on Facebook last night after I commented and I met him earlier today. The Choctaw officer got pics of the horses wounds since it was dark the previous night. They ended up tearing up the Choctaw ticket and now the guy doesn't have to go to court. It was that house directly across from the school where the horses are.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been chatting with the shooter on facebook tonight. He told me they tore the ticket up now. The officer also said when he went to the lady's house with the dogs, the pitt was aggressive towards him and had to be restrained. So that probably helped the ticket getting torn up too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom