Sooner State Pawn Oklahoma Second Amendment Association 2A Shooting Center Harsh Firearms Fat Boy Tactical
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Best rifle for big game in Alaska?

go with a 50bmg,it will work for anything anywhere and a glock 20 for the bears that chase ya.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911user View Post
    The 338 win mag was going to be my stock caliber suggestion.

If you are into reloading and don't mind a semi-wildcat round, a 35 Whelen bolt action would also be a good choice. 35 Whelen is a 30-06 case necked up to take a 0.358 diameter bullet.
    +1 for the .35 Whelan. Suitable hunting bullets range from 200 to 250 grains, giving you a good range of weight for deer up to brown bear. And for cheap practice or in a pinch you can load up .38/.357 pistol bullets.

Isn’t anyone going to yank the OP around with the old “push feed vs. controlled round feed (aka claw extractor)” when hunting dangerous game discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by ldp4570 View Post
    First rule of thumb is to be an effective shooter. Most guides hate the folks who show up with a new uber-magnum DU shooter that they can barely shoot. They would prefer for you to show up with your 30-06 with effective loads that your used to shooting. If you can handle 200 to 220 grain loads in your 30-06 you can take anything that walks in Alaska.

Second rule is the rifle, just as I stated above, if you can handle it, and are a decent OFF THE BENCH shot with it, you'll do well, and the guide won't have to worry about you wounding an animal he is responsible for putting down(Guides hate to have to go after something like a Moose or Brownie thats been wounded).

Third rule; Don't get carried away with all the the new out there, eskimo's go after polar's with 30-30's, a good medium weight 30-06 thats will shoot decent groups with any load from 150gr to 220gr is more than enough for 95% of your shooting.

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^

8 years ago just about everyone I saw in the northern villages carried a .303 or an old 30-06.
    Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics.

"Semper Paratus"

Feedback

Oh yeah, +2 to ldp4570's advice. In fact, I personally "know" through the internet, from another board, an Inuit who (a) uses a Finnish M39 Mosin (7.62x54R) with military ball ammo, quite effectively, for caribou, moose, wolf, polar bear, walrus, etc., and (b) uses a .22lr to kill caribou crossing the rivers, by shooting them in the head from a boat. He also indicates that .223 rem, .243 win, and .30-30 are the most popular calibers for hunting among Inuit. IIRC, he said .223 rem was the most popular - in the 'old days', it was .22 mag, but it seems most of them stepped up to the BIG boy (.223 rem) over the years. Also, I've read that among non-Inuit, .30-'06 is the most popular among those that live there, with .375 HH mag coming in second, and .338 winmag 3rd, but some flavor of magnumbuttstomperloudenboomer .30 or .338 is the favorite among tourist hunters.

I've also read that, at least in the past, the .303 Brit was/is the most popular Canadian cartridge for going after moose.

Your .308 is just fine for anything up to and including moose.

My uncle lived in Alaska since the 70s, and he killed a lot of moose with his .308. That was his moose rifle of choice. Just get one of the heavier loads and you'll be fine.

375 h&h works great in africa will do great up there all that you need

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow View Post
    Oh yeah, +2 to ldp4570's advice. In fact, I personally "know" through the internet, from another board, an Inuit who (a) uses a Finnish M39 Mosin (7.62x54R) with military ball ammo, quite effectively, for caribou, moose, wolf, polar bear, walrus, etc., and (b) uses a .22lr to kill caribou crossing the rivers, by shooting them in the head from a boat. He also indicates that .223 rem, .243 win, and .30-30 are the most popular calibers for hunting among Inuit.
    Sarcasm Alert

And I put 40 highway miles a day on a Toyota Corolla, so does that mean I think the Corolla is the best highway car? Nope it means I’m a cheap SOB and judge the Corolla to be adequate transportation.

Sarcasm All Clear

My gut tells me that Inuit caliber preferences have more to do with available serviceable rifles and the availability and price of ammunition than worrying about the “best” rifle for Alaska.

My uncle subsistence hunted mule deer in Northern California with a 30-30 Winchester ’94 that had the stock broken clean through and repaired with wraps of electrician’s tape. He refused to replace it, as it went “bang” every time; he probably got ten deer per 20 round box of ammo. My bet is the Inuit have a similar frugal ethos.

Uncle Gene’s top hunting tip; when shooting from a logging road only take deer that are up slope, they might run down hill toward you, but if not, it’s easier to pull the carcass down hill that up.

ALASKA TOP TEN CARTRIDGES
    Cartridge # of Hunters %
    .30-06 387 20.9
    .300 Win. Mag. 342 18.5
    .338 Win. Mag. 339 18.4
    7mm Rem. Mag. 157 8.5
    .375 H&H Mag. 116 6.3
    .270 Win. 108 5.8
    .308 Win. 65 3.5
    .300 Weath. Mag. 64 3.5
    45-70 Gov. 25 1.4
    .280 Rem. 20 1.1

This is from wildlife.alaska.gov. Looks like the bulk uses 30-06, .300WinMag and 338WinMag. And my favorite coming in 4th, but by a decent spread between it and 3rd.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éirinn agus Alban!

Demum, veniunt porci

My gut tells me that Inuit caliber preferences have more to do with available serviceable rifles and the availability and price of ammunition than worrying about the “best” rifle for Alaska.
    I think you're exactly right on that, OV. Mostly to do with cost/availability, and not making them ideal. But, they are effective in skilled hands evidently. I think it's gonna depend (like always) on where you are hunting, and for what. On the open tundra, for caribou, you want something flat shooting, like a 7mm rem mag.

In the thick woods & swamps for moose, a .45-70 or .444 marlin would be perfect. Etc., etc.

Ah hell, just spring for the .458 Lott. That should cover just about everything!
    "Some of us are often accused of always crying 'wolf'. But it is worth noting that one day the wolf came".
    Pat Buchanan

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution that gave Congress the right to expend, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents".
    James Madison

Lahti L-39. If you even get close to hitting it it's gonna die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_L-39
    My Feedback Thread
    Class 3 Designs, LLC (07 FFL/02 SOT)
    WTS: Barrel Threading Services
    WTS: Silencers
    PMs disabled, email me instead so I don't have to delete our messages every 2 weeks. info@class3REMOVEdesigns.com. Be sure to take out the REMOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by okc_plinking View Post
    375 h&h works great in africa will do great up there all that you need
    My choice too since I've got one and shoot it well.Anything 30.06 and above with heavy, well constructed bullets will be fine if you do your job.Get plenty of practice before you go.Just remember when you're staring at a pissed off brown bear that has maybe decided to make you his next meal or that bull moose just plain has a bad attitude,you CAN"T have "too much" gun.That said,as a non-resident hunting in Alaska,you're required to have a guide who will most likely have a 338 or bigger. Steve
    "There are no victims,only volunteers.You volunteer by looking uncertain and afraid.You volunteer by being,as grass eaters invariably are,unprepared to confront the hazards of life." Col. Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by N3TD3ViL View Post
    Why wouldn't the .308 be okay for hunting big game?
    I was on Kodiak island in the fall of 1990 and a Kodiak came thru the back door of a womans house, she went out the front and over to the neighbors. Several neighbors put 17 rounds of .223 and .308 in the bear before it went down (from close range). A single well placed .308 will put down a Kodiak but the .308 does not do enough damage if not thru the heart or brain. In a stress situation a poorly placed shot with a .338 WinMag will still do the job. Just get a good muzzle brake.

I've lived and hunted in Alaska. My weapon of choice was the .338 Win Mag and I've never had any issues dropping a moose or bear on the spot. As stated before, practice makes perfect. Also, ensure that you re-zero your rifle once in Alaska. The altitude makes a difference there.
    You can't polish a turd!!
    Post feedback here
    Quote Originally Posted by CAR-AR-M16 View Post
    I want to get some pics of Rod shooting a 1911 since we all know how much he likes them.