.17HMR draws blood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I was off, and let the dogs out for their morning run. Went to get a cup of coffee, and the barking started. My dogs don't bark normally, but this time it was frantic. I grabbed the .17HMR, and went to the side yard. Two raccoons had my little lap dog cornered, and Gunner, my Brittany was trying his best to keep them off the little dog.
I hit the first right behind the shoulder, and he stood up on his back legs, looked up and fell over backwards. Never moved again.
A split second afterward, the second coon took off across the yard, and at 50 yds, I put one to the hip. :rolleyes2:rolleyes2 (Sorry Danny)

He thrashed around for a second and ran off dragging said shattered hip.
I put the dogs in the house and went to the creek looking for him, and finally found it trying to get up the other side. One to the head and it was all over.:50cal:

Kind of made for an exciting morning. The dogs did not have any injuries that I could see, and are current on all of their shots, so I'm sure they will be ok.

Karat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insert woman and child instead of dogs and badguys in place of raccoons and you have an exciting scene from an action movie....

Karat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also had to shoot an animal that was attacking my dog once, it was a stray mut that wouldn't let go of our dachsund so I gave it a .22 mag to the head...I think that was the first time I was ever extremely angry, it was like watching a family member get attacked.

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the best story I've heard in a while!!!! We live in a very busy and populated new addition. The kids have a cat that stays on the front porch, and is fed there as well. The kiddos flipped out one night when they came home and a huge Mama opposum was eatin' the cat food. Over the next several nights more, and then more showed up. It was the children! So.............over the course of about a week, Mr. Henry, and his friends the Collibri Brothers (primer rounds) took care of all of them. Dang, those things are NASYTY!!!!!! This all happened around the midnight hour each time, but even with the whisper quiet ammo, I think tha'll be the last time.

[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now, Dennis, you know, without pics it didn't happen!

Dang! I didn't think of that at the time, but I can go down and get pics of one carcass if the buzzards didn't get it all eaten by this time.
Actally I was pretty proud of my britt for keeping them off of the little one. He doesn't have a fighting bone in his body until this happend, and he had a fire in his eyes:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the best story I've heard in a while!!!! We live in a very busy and populated new addition. The kids have a cat that stays on the front porch, and is fed there as well. The kiddos flipped out one night when they came home and a huge Mama opposum was eatin' the cat food. Over the next several nights more, and then more showed up. It was the children! So.............over the course of about a week, Mr. Henry, and his friends the Collibri Brothers (primer rounds) took care of all of them. Dang, those things are NASYTY!!!!!! This all happened around the midnight hour each time, but even with the whisper quiet ammo, I think tha'll be the last time.

[Broken External Image]

We live in the country, but I never thought about using the Collibri stuff when I did live in town. I guess that was 18 years ago, but they did have CB caps back then. They were pretty small, but made a snap when they went off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom