1911 questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While your waiting for a chance to get out and field test it with live ammo, I'd field strip it, clean it thoroughly and lube it correctly. If you have'nt already. That should give you the best chance to evaluate the functioning reliability of your 1911. A couple hundred rds. of FMJ ball ammo fired down range will tell you what you need to know. Good luck!

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While your waiting for a chance to get out and field test it with live ammo, I'd field strip it, clean it thoroughly and lube it correctly. If you have'nt already. That should give you the best chance to evaluate the functioning reliability of your 1911. A couple hundred rds. of FMJ ball ammo fired down range will tell you what you need to know. Good luck!

I call that a good day.

xrd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi, I have had issues with Springfields in 9mm. The feed ramp is at an angle that works very well with ball round ammo. Hollow point bullets slam into the bottem of the feed ramp and stay, they don't go up the feed ramp. I talked to Springfield armorers and they told me it was because of the shape of the bullet, Precision Delta hollow point ammo, and the feed ramp angle. They could redress/change the angle of the feed ramp to those bullets but I wasn't too keen on taking away metal. So, ball ammo is king. I haven't had any problems with any ball rounds regardless of bullet weight or ammo manufacturer.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I have had issues with Springfields in 9mm. The feed ramp is at an angle that works very well with ball round ammo. Hollow point bullets slam into the bottem of the feed ramp and stay, they don't go up the feed ramp. I talked to Springfield armorers and they told me it was because of the shape of the bullet, Precision Delta hollow point ammo, and the feed ramp angle. They could redress/change the angle of the feed ramp to those bullets but I wasn't too keen on taking away metal. So, ball ammo is king. I haven't had any problems with any ball rounds regardless of bullet weight or ammo manufacturer.

There are several things that should be looked at. The barrel probably needs to be throated, the barrel may need to be set back a few thousandths, and the feed ramp angle may need adjusted. These things don't require removing a ton of metal from either the frame or barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom