2014 Oklahoma Legislature Firearms Bills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe
A gun or knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes kept
in a privately owned vehicle and properly displayed or stored as
required by law
is supposed to be
A gun, or a knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes, kept
in a privately owned vehicle and properly displayed or stored as
required by law
... simple amendment - an "a" and two little commas.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, the hunting and fishing exemption is already in-place in the current SDA, it is not being added by this bill.

/Not an attorney and nothing said should be construed as legal advice.

There is no hunting or fishing exemption in the Self Defense Act. This bill only addresses Chapter 53 of Title 21 (Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons) - specifically 21 O.S. § 1280.1 (Possession of Firearm on School Property). Currently, there is an exemption in 21 O.S. § 1280.1 to specifically authorize individuals with handgun licenses pursuant to the SDA to drive onto school property while in possession of a firearm so long as they are *only* transporting a student to or from school and their vehicle is never unattended. SB1753 removes that exemption, which would mean that you would no longer be allowed to be in possession of a handgun on school property while transporting your student to or from school.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no hunting or fishing exemption in the Self Defense Act. This bill only addresses Chapter 53 of Title 21 (Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons) - specifically 21 O.S. § 1280.1 (Possession of Firearm on School Property). Currently, there is an exemption in 21 O.S. § 1280.1 to specifically authorize individuals with handgun licenses pursuant to the SDA to drive onto school property while in possession of a firearm so long as they are *only* transporting a student to or from school and their vehicle is never unattended. SB1753 removes that exemption, which would mean that you would no longer be allowed to be in possession of a handgun on school property while transporting your student to or from school.

I'm not exactly certain the point you are making here, are you taking issue with the word exemption?...

My statement was clarifying that the current SDA reads: "A gun or knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes kept in a privately owned vehicle and properly
displayed or stored as required by law, or a handgun carried in a vehicle pursuant to a valid handgun
license authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, provided such vehicle containing said gun or knife
is driven onto school property only to transport a student to and from school and such vehicle does not
remain unattended on school property".

The proposed bill eliminates the ability for those with a permit to have a firearm in their car when picking up/dropping off children. My intent was to clarify what hrdware said as, in my opinion, one could mistakenly infer from this thread that the bill was adding the "hunting and fishing" exception to the school zone rule, when in fact, it is already in the SDA. The bill itself does not ADD anything (other than the above mentioned 'a' and two commas). If I confused anyone, my apologies.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not exactly certain the point you are making here, are you taking issue with the word exemption?...

My statement was clarifying that the current SDA reads: "A gun or knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes kept in a privately owned vehicle and properly
displayed or stored as required by law, or a handgun carried in a vehicle pursuant to a valid handgun
license authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, provided such vehicle containing said gun or knife
is driven onto school property only to transport a student to and from school and such vehicle does not
remain unattended on school property".

The proposed bill eliminates the ability for those with a permit to have a firearm in their car when picking up/dropping off children. My intent was to clarify what hrdware said as, in my opinion, one could mistakenly infer from this thread that the bill was adding the "hunting and fishing" exception to the school zone rule, when in fact, it is already in the SDA. The bill itself does not ADD anything (other than the above mentioned 'a' and two commas). If I confused anyone, my apologies.

Not trying to answer for Veggie Meat, but the Oklahoma SDA is Title 21, Section 1290.1 to 1290.26. Since the portion of the law this particular bill would modify is not in that section, it shouldn't be referred to as the SDA. Many times people refer to the SDA as all the regulations in the booklet provided by OSBI, but this is technically incorrect.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to answer for Veggie Meat, but the Oklahoma SDA is Title 21, Section 1290.1 to 1290.26. Since the portion of the law this particular bill would modify is not in that section, it shouldn't be referred to as the SDA. Many times people refer to the SDA as all the regulations in the booklet provided by OSBI, but this is technically incorrect.

Thanks for the clarification hrdware, I appreciate it. That is exactly what I was doing. I was under the (mistaken) impression that all regulations contained in the SDA rulebook fell under the SDA proper.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This.

Thanks for the clarification hrdware, I appreciate it. That is exactly what I was doing. I was under the (mistaken) impression that all regulations contained in the SDA rulebook fell under the SDA proper.

And I had also misread your posts. Around that time, I believe I was jugging quite a few different conversations at once. My apologies.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to see the CLEO requirement reversed. Rather than making them sign off with their approval, I'd like to see the onus put on them to show why this person should not have an NFA weapon. So the law should say that CLEOs have 7/15/some small number of days to explicitly deny an NFA application with evidence of unsuitability. Otherwise the app is approved. Similar to what NICS does now: without an explicit denial, the sale is approved.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got an e-mail from the NRA-ILA on legislative updates for our state. The e-mail spoke of HB 2329 introduced by Sally Kern. According the NRA-ILA this bill would allow people with a CC license to keep their handgun locked in their vehicle while on public school parking lots.

This is the first I have heard of this...don't know if there is any truth to it. My wife and I are both public educators. This would be a step in the right direction. So many times we find our selves running errands on the way home and , well, you know the rest....

Latest posts

Top Bottom