2018 Big 12 Championship

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree. OU has taken 3 star offensive players and made them 1st and 2nd round draft picks. Right now I blame the position coaches on the defensive side. We are getting no pressure up front as our D-Linemen are not shedding blocks at all. Guys are not wrapping up on tackles. Too many times have I watched a wr catch a pass 3 yards behind the LOS and the defensive player just waits for them 4-5 yards past the LOS instead of rushing to the ball and tackling. These are all coaching issues that need to be fixed. What OU needs to do is find a DC from a smaller college that is doing well, bring them in and let them bring in their position coaches. I never fully blamed Mike Stoops, just as I never blamed Venables. Hell, look at Venables, went to Clemson and now they have a top notch defense.

Yes, recruiting good defensive players, those with natural skill and ability, is key. But when you can't coach even 3 stars to provide even basic defense and you see glaring issues, that is a coaching problem.

I have to disagree, the coaches are doing their jobs. Watch them kids on the field and they look lost. And you can't tell me the coaches are not in the film room hammering the issues into these kids head every chance they get. Coaches are expendable and want their job.
Whether it is a drive or an level of understanding issue I do not know.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked those days too but I have to admit this year has been pretty dang exciting. Heck I've purt neer blown a gasket in every game.

Hell I can't watch it, I mute it and work on a project while D is on the field or I rant and rave!! Drives me insane when it is 3rd and long and they give the receiver a 5 yard cushion!! Tackling fundamentals are a thing of the past, whiffs and arm tackles seem to be all the rage. Soooo I ignore the D and watch the Offense, which is just crazy good!:cool:
Then I tune into Bama if I want to see some D LOL
Used to watch the NFL to get my D fix but now they exercise the American right to Kneel for the National anthem and I exercise my right to ignore the assholes!!:tounge2::cool:

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to disagree, the coaches are doing their jobs. Watch them kids on the field and they look lost. And you can't tell me the coaches are not in the film room hammering the issues into these kids head every chance they get. Coaches are expendable and want their job.
Whether it is a drive or an level of understanding issue I do not know.

These are not 1 star rejects from DII. Not to mention its the coaches job to do the recruiting, so if we have poor talent then its a direct reflection of the coaches. If the coaches were doing their jobs correctly they would at least be able to tackle. And every single lineback/cornerback is giving the WR's 5-8 yard cushions which is why they get dinked on so many times. Add in my previous statement about not going to the ball but letting the opposing player come to them. Sure, OU isn't getting the 4 and 5 stars that SEC teams get, but we are getting kids with some talent, its just not being developed properly.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And every single lineback/cornerback is giving the WR's 5-8 yard cushions which is why they get dinked on so many times. Add in my previous statement about not going to the ball but letting the opposing player come to them.

If you think the position coaches are not in the film room ranting and raving about this , trying to get these guys to understand what they are not doing on the field your crazy.:cool: I will give you that the coaches are recruiting these guys so if the player has not figured it out this late in the season then just maybe they should not have been recruited ! But I see serious lack of effort and you can't coach effort.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree. OU has taken 3 star offensive players and made them 1st and 2nd round draft picks. Right now I blame the position coaches on the defensive side. We are getting no pressure up front as our D-Linemen are not shedding blocks at all. Guys are not wrapping up on tackles. Too many times have I watched a wr catch a pass 3 yards behind the LOS and the defensive player just waits for them 4-5 yards past the LOS instead of rushing to the ball and tackling. These are all coaching issues that need to be fixed. What OU needs to do is find a DC from a smaller college that is doing well, bring them in and let them bring in their position coaches. I never fully blamed Mike Stoops, just as I never blamed Venables. Hell, look at Venables, went to Clemson and now they have a top notch defense.

Yes, recruiting good defensive players, those with natural skill and ability, is key. But when you can't coach even 3 stars to provide even basic defense and you see glaring issues, that is a coaching problem.
If they recruited like in the old days of the Selmans, Calmus, Casillas, Bosworth, Williams and others of that caliber, etc, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Offense is the name of the game and defense is taking a back door.
Remember the days when games ended at 7-0?
TV ratings require offense and basketball type scoring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom