45 ACP reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks every one now I will have to busy and try some of these
I bough it specifically to carry when I am deer hunting, so here is the regs from off the wildlifedepartment.com for all types of gun hunting

Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven rounds of ammunition.

Muzzleloaders: Equipment described as legal for deer muzzleloader season and blackpowder firearms loaded from the breech are legal.
Shotguns: 20 gauge or larger, firing a single rifled slug are legal.

Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.

Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.

Handguns chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition: Chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition using at least a 55-grain soft-nosed bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer and a minimum barrel length of four inches.

Illegal devices: Fully automatic firearms, supressors (silencers), laser sights and light enhancement devices (night scopes) are illegal. Beginning Nov. 1, 2012, landowners hunting on their own property and guests of those landowners will be permitted to use suppressors.

Last edited:

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With 45 ACP the preferred powders are kin the fast to medium burning category. I have used VV-N310, Bullseye, HS-700X, Trail Boss, W-231/HP-38, American Select, Clay, WST, Aliant E3 and am curently experimenting with WAA Lite.
My favorite 25 yards bullseye psitol load was 3.8 gr. HS-700X, Rem LP, behind a 185 gr. LSWC for ca 715 fps - a very accurate and mild load. HS-700X is not the cleanest buirning powder but it provides very accurate loads with lead bullets.

ira41magfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.

Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.

Isn't it odd, you can hunt with a 45acp but you can't hunt with a 44 special cause the case length for it is only 1.16.

I've been using power pistol for the 45acp but I need a case length gauge, sometimes the bullet doesn't set straight in the case and it won't chamber in the auto gun. w=When this happes, i set that round to the side for the revolver, it ain't as picky.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't it odd, you can hunt with a 45acp but you can't hunt with a 44 special cause the case length for it is only 1.16.

I've been using power pistol for the 45acp but I need a case length gauge, sometimes the bullet doesn't set straight in the case and it won't chamber in the auto gun. w=When this happes, i set that round to the side for the revolver, it ain't as picky.

Its overall cartridge length, not case length. The .44 special is just fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom