521 Miles in Four Days?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
44498355_1966873086737040_5695559077573165056_n.jpg

A friend just passed this along to me, but it didn't cite sources. Has anybody else seen this? Does anyone have a citeable source for this? If true, it's very interesting indeed, but I don't want to go spreading it without some sort of verification. A timeline with links to the relevant news stories would be just about perfect.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is extraordinarily difficult to travel those distances in a vehicle in those countries, I can tell you from experience.

That's a really interesting calculation - I wonder how these 5000 people are making that kind of time?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hold up, guys. You're assuming the truth of it; I want to see confirmation before jumping the gun. Does anybody have a reliable source? A random image on Facebook ain't it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about the other marks, but I saw a news piece about them piling up at the southern Mexican border on Friday or Saturday night. They had video of a border bridge that was packed with people, as well as people jumping off the bridge to cross the river on foot (it was only a few feet deep).

They must be picking up people as they go; 130mi/day is a very long march. A forced march for the Roman legions was only about 25 miles per day, and those guys were in pretty good shape (and walked everywhere they went).

Interestingly enough, 130mi/day works out to 5.4mph, which would be a 4:51 marathon time (cite), which would qualify an 80 year old man or 70 year old woman for the Boston Marathon (cite). That's a pretty decent pace to keep up 24 hour per day...

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And what do they eat along the way? Where do they get drinking water? Where do they urinate and defecate? How about washing? I don't know of any sort of footwear that will last that many miles, either.

The cost to the countries they pass through has to be more than significant.

Woody

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/21/americas/migrant-caravan-mexico/index.html She doesn't look malnourished nor do the kids. It appears it is a rather loose caravan and strung. You kind of have to read all of the stories to get the full picture. The members of the caravan are accepting rides and some of the Mexican people are helping them. I've seen numbers from 5,000 to 10,000.

Latest posts

Top Bottom