9mm reload issues....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie1

Marksman
Reaction score
Sorry guys... have actually had to work while at work today.... whats the world coming to?...

Press type - Dillon 550b.... BUT.... after experiencing the issue, was trying to re-size (bullet-less, brass only) with a single stage....again, making sure the shell plate actually was touching the bottom of the die.

Die - Lee carbide, and like others, have loaded many hundreds (if not thousands) of rounds with them...other head stamped brass has no issues....

Don't have any of the brass here with me, but my memory thinks all it had was 9mm PARA.... photo will answer that.

And for the glock smiley?, I don't recall there being a noticeable bulge, but I would want to re-examine that before I bet on it...

Let me see if I can post a photo...probably be tomorrow (Friday) at the soonest. have to ask the wife if I can borrow the camera...

Anyway, thanks for the replies - will work on the picture.

Odie1

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had this exact problem but it was not stamp specific. It started after picking up brass at USSA. The only conclusion I and others could come to was USPSA shooters shooting 9mm MAJOR (HOT) ammo and causing case expansion. It was only about 3 or 4 rounds out of a hundred that I had the issue with, but enough for me to get a EGW U die. Haven't had a issue since.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are 2 custom Open guns shooting 9mm major at our range, and their brass is visibly "jugged," different enough to usually sort out by eye. I'm pretty sure their chambers are on the "loose" side, which exacerabtes the problem. If in doubt, I try the empty backwards in a case gauge to check for swolen head.

If you want to use the over-expanded brass, you can take the guts out of a Lee FCD and push the empty all the way through it. I used a push rod from a Lee bullet sizer.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have run into the exact same thing using the exact same set up! I believe it is from some really hot loaded 9mm. The headstamps are not the same(no two alike) which leads me to believe it is reloaded ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom