About time for a new camera. What do you like?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife is looking for a new camera.
We are kinda between the Nikon D3200 and the Canon Rebel T3i.
Both have all the megapixels we need and will do pretty much what we want.
Anyone using one of these, or a Canon/Nikon like it?
What are your likes and dislikes?

She does not want anything big. She played with a D90 and said she would not want to carry it around. She likes something to carry when we hike, or are on vacation.
Thanks

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the D5200 last year and couldn't be more pleased. In my opinion, Cannon and Nikon are the only two major brands that have consistently without fail not only maintained very high standards in mass produced SLR's and DSLR's, but also made steady improvements and advancements in technology. And this has been over the last 30+ years I've been into photography. My personal preference is for Nikon. They have never let me down, so I have always stuck with them. But I've known folks who are just as loyal to Cannon. When it comes to lenses, I believe Cannon dips a little lower into the consumer market and hence more often will use plastic for the lens pieces. Yet they also make very good all glass ones as well. Nikon tends to not concern themselves as much with reaching the lower price points with thier lenses. That alone does not mean they are better, just that if you go Nikon, you will want to see if they have Nikor lenses in your price range. There are a couple brands that make less expensive for Nikon, Tamron comes to mind. I've read and heard good about them. I've just not had any experience with them.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll also chime in for looking at the Nikon D5200. I was asked about cameras a while back and discussed back and forth between the D5200 and the D3200. The D3200 is quite a bit cheaper, but the D5200 has more capability, especially with regards to shooting in low light.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a price range that you are working with so you don't get suggestions for much higher priced cameras?

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nikon d5200 here too, great camera. I have always likes the Nikon ergonomics and controls more than Canon but you can't go wrong with either.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot nikon. Learned on nikon and have bought nikon since my original DSLR. I recommend nikon. Never had any trouble with any of mine.

Nikon seems to have more functionality in their lower tier DSLR cameras. Where canon doesn't offer as much control over their lower tier cameras.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pics from my D5100. I have since upgraded.

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_06_26_da6atuma.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_06_26_paqesa3u.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_06_26_penejeta.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_06_26_umutamug.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom